Permission From The Venue?

Business By weirkd Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 12:57am by indydebi

weirkd Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:25am
post #1 of 10

I was asked to do a cake in August for an indian wedding. The father of the bride emailed me and told me that I needed to call the wedding coordinator at the venue and get permission?
I thought that the person who was renting the room was in charge of signing the paperwork and all the legal issues of it? Ive never heard of having to get permission to deliver a cake before! I know some venues charge people for outside food vendors like lets say for cutting the cake or they will tell the couple that they dont allow outside food vendors at all. But making me get permission?? Anyone had to do this before?

9 replies
MnSnow Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:27am
post #2 of 10

Yes, some venues require copies of your licensing and insurance before you can bring anything in.

Deb_ Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:47am
post #3 of 10

[quote="weirkd"]I was asked to do a cake in August for an indian wedding. The father of the bride emailed me and told me that I needed to call the wedding coordinator at the venue and get permission?
I thought that the person who was renting the room was in charge of signing the paperwork and all the legal issues of it? Ive never heard of having to get permission to deliver a cake before! I know some venues charge people for outside food vendors like lets say for cutting the cake or they will tell the couple that they dont allow outside food vendors at all. But making me get permission?? Anyone had to do this before?[/quote]

Yes, every time I get a Wedding cake order especially if it's a new place that I've never delivered to before. Some venues around here will NOT allow food/cake from outside venders.

More times then not I have to show proof of license/insurance.

jaybug Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:57am
post #4 of 10

Wow! You really do learn something new here every day! icon_surprised.gif

weirkd Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 10

Yah, thats what I figured. Thanks for the responses!!

grama_j Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 10

Some venues have their own personel...... they like to sell a package deal, and will go as far as not allowing anyone but THEIR personel to provide food or cake.......

CountryCakery4 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:54pm
post #7 of 10

There is so muchto learn about the business side of things. I Love the forums for that!

cakesbycathy Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:38pm
post #8 of 10

I think I read it differently than some PPs. Do the clients already know an outside cake is permitted and need you to give the hall a copy of your license OR do they want you to check and see if you would be allowed to bring in a cake?

If it is the latter, then I would tell them it is their responsibility (or the wedding coordinator's) job to check that out, before you commit to making the cake. I don't know about you, but I don't have time to call around to halls and see if they will let me deliver there.

weirkd Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:54pm
post #9 of 10

I think they already know that outside cake is permitted but they must want a copy of my license or something. Either way, I cant even get in contact with the coordinator. I get her voicemail and she never bothers to call me back.
But they gave me a $50 deposit to hold the date and then when I mentioned writing the contract up, they waited until THEN to tell me I needed to contact the coordinator. He also wanted me to put an adendum in the contract about it along with waiting until a week before the wedding to pay in full and make final decisions. I told him that I wasnt about to do that because Ive had problems with people not paying me on time or if they pick something that I have to have ordered in, it wouldnt give me time to do so or would cut any profit Ive made on it for having the items overnighted. He said it was ok but my husband thinks I should walk away from this one. He thinks the guy is acting like Im his employee. And technically, since he hasnt signed a contract yet, that he isnt really my customer either.
But I would like to find out what the venue wants if someone would bother to contact me!

indydebi Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:57am
post #10 of 10

As others have said, it's not so much "permission" as it is just getting the legalities and venue-policy-requirements in order.

Anytime I'm delivering to a venue I've never been to before, I ALWAYS call them in advance to introduce myself and OFFER a copy of my license and ask if they need a certificate of insurance faxed from my agent. About half the time, they don't need this stuff, but I always assume they do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%