My Ri Is Not Shiny - Would You Help With This?

Baking By ZlatkaT Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 6:04pm by verono

ZlatkaT Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 12

Over two years I was using RI, and was happy with the taste and how fast it's drying. But now, when I saw how beautiful shiny cookies are here on CC gallery, I would as well get the "wet" look on my cookies. They always look prettier before the icing dry. After they dry, the are mat looking.
I am using this recipe: 4 C pow.sugar; 3 Tbsp Meringue (contains tartar cream) + water + extract.
Would extra tartar cream help to make it shiny; or what ingredient makes it? My cookies are dry after 4 hours, which I like!
Please help, how can I improve my recipe, or share yours. Thank you!!

11 replies
varika Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 12

I'm no expert on RI, but I just made my first batch of cookies iced with Toba Garrett's Glace and that has a nice shiny finish to it--and it was really easy to make.

ZlatkaT Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:34am
post #3 of 12

Hmm, there is no meringue powder or tartar cream in Toba's recipe - how long it takes the glaze to dry? Or dry enough to continue working??? It sure has the shine I am looking for. I am curious what makes the shine??

Bellatheball Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:01am
post #4 of 12

Add a little bit of corn syrup. icon_biggrin.gif

varika Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:54am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZlatkaT

Hmm, there is no meringue powder or tartar cream in Toba's recipe - how long it takes the glaze to dry? Or dry enough to continue working??? It sure has the shine I am looking for. I am curious what makes the shine??

It only took about fifteen minutes for it to dry enough for me to move so I could coat the next batch, and to dry hard took a couple of hours. I did airbrushing and wrote the names on them with a food marker without disturbing the finish the slightest bit. See?

ZlatkaT Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 12

Your cookies look very nice, interesting design.
("how did you create the last message with "zlatka wrote...etc and add my post - I would like to learn this trick) icon_smile.gif

JGMB Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:46pm
post #7 of 12

In the box of each person's post, there's a little rectangle in the top right corner that says "quote". So, whoever you want to quote, just click on that little rectangle. Then you can delete whatever you don't want and leave what you do want. That will show as a quote in a box at the top of your post. Then you can write your message. HTH!!

ZlatkaT Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:02pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

In the box of each person's post, there's a little rectangle in the top right corner that says "quote". So, whoever you want to quote, just click on that little rectangle. Then you can delete whatever you don't want and leave what you do want. That will show as a quote in a box at the top of your post. Then you can write your message. HTH!!

I see...it works. Thank you!

SweetDreamsAT Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:09pm
post #9 of 12

To get a little bit of shine on my cookies, I add 6 drops of
glycerine to my royal icing recipe. One time I added 12 drops by
accident, and the icing never quite dried! It would be worth
experimenting to see what amount works for your recipe.

ZlatkaT Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 10:01pm
post #10 of 12

Somewhere I saw RI recipe with milk, instead of water. Do you think the milk will get bad, if used in RI to glaze cookies, how long the cookies could last? Anybody know??

bonniebakes Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:58pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:

Somewhere I saw RI recipe with milk, instead of water. Do you think the milk will get bad, if used in RI to glaze cookies, how long the cookies could last? Anybody know??

I know a lot of people on here do this - I think it's the glace' recipe that calls for it. I am too "food safety-freaky"to try it, but from what other people have said, the sugar in the recipe prevents the milk from spoiling (I think). I have heard that some people replace the milk with water , so you can try that if you are concerned...

verono Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:04pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniebakes

Quote:

I know a lot of people on here do this - I think it's the glace' recipe that calls for it. I am too "food safety-freaky"to try it, but from what other people have said, the sugar in the recipe prevents the milk from spoiling (I think). I have heard that some people replace the milk with water , so you can try that if you are concerned...

I replace the milk with water, never seen a difference in taste, and they still shiny..!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%