Coloring Mmf And Winnie The Pooh Characters?

Decorating By rolosgirl Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 1:06pm by PuffCake

rolosgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rolosgirl Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 4

How have you ladies obtained the honey brown color for Pooh?

What is the best way to get rich, darker colors with fondant? I do not like the Wilton fondant, so I planned to make MMF and then try to get the color of pooh and his red shirt, but not sure the best way to go from white MMF to a bright red Pooh shirt?

Do you use just regular icing coloring/gel?

Thanks ladies!

3 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:44pm
post #2 of 4

I would start from yellow and add brown to get Pooh's color.

I don't have experience with MMF fondant so I'm not sure how it works.

I use Americolor gel coloring.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:56pm
post #3 of 4

I have a picture of Pooh and Piglet in my gallery on a baby shower crib cake. I use the Wilton Gels and used the regular red (not the no-taste red). I believe I started with golden yellow and may have added orange or ivory to darken for Pooh's color. I just used a lot of red gel to get the red, I tend to make a lot of red and black and store them so I always have a bit on hand. Those are 2 colors I wouldn't want to have to prepare too often!

Generally people don't eat the fondant figures, I always use Wilton fondant for them and flowers, just because it is easy to work with!! The one time I tried MMF, it got all cracky, that was my only MMF experience.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:06pm
post #4 of 4

I use Americolor gels also. They are the best IMO.

I always add the color to the melted marshmallows in the mixer before adding the powdered sugar. Adding the sugar will lighten it somewhat, but after it sits awhile (next day) the color will deepen. If I don't want a whole batch the same color, I cut the recipe in half or in fourths. For small amounts of a particular color, kneading it in isn't too hard but for large amounts adding the color while the mm are liquid is the best way to go!

Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%