Fresh Flower Question

Decorating By maude Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 12:38am by hammer1

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 5

I have a request for fresh roses on a wedding cake. I have never used fresh flowers before and want to make sure I do it safely. I was going to tell her to order her own flowers from the florist and I will arrange them on the cake. Is this what you guys typically do? Also do I put something in writing that I am not responsible for any problems from the flowers? Do I need to make sure that they do not touch any part of the cake, etc. ?

4 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 5

This is the reason why I don't want to use fresh flowers on cakes... even if I don't sell them.

I hope someone can help.

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 5

Anyone? I know a lot of you guys use fresh flowers on your cakes.

sugar-2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar-2 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 5

I made an anniversary cake and was asked to add fresh daisies, so i went to my local florist and bought the little flower holder/sponge thing, bought some pink daisies and made a small simple arrangment myself. So the flower's did'nt actually go in the cake, since they sit ontop of the plastic sponge holder thing. Some people use water picks that you can get from your florist also or to be safe buy organic flowers, which i had a hard time finding!
Good luck!

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 12:38am
post #5 of 5

if the flowers are not in a holder i will not put them on the cake. that is the florist responsibility. i offended a florist when i asked her if her flowers were free of all spray and pesticides. she said she had done flowers for 20 years, i said i have done cakes for 35 years and i still ask all florist the same questions. there are a lot of flowers that should not be put on a cake, i am sure someone here has a list, i find it safer if i have nothing to do with the flowers. unfortunately, i had a beautiful cake almost ruined by one florist, she shoved three fresh roses straight down the middle of individual 8 inch table cakes. i cringed when i arrived at the reception and saw them. no greenery or babies breath or anything, just three big rose buds....glad i didn't have to take credit for the flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%