Kinda Discouraged...

Decorating By joviolette Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 10:38am by Cathy26

joviolette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joviolette Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 36

So I haven't been making cakes very long but I'm loving doing it and learning all I can. Had my first paid cake in May and did my fourth paid cake for my cousin's husbands' 40th bday. We didn't talk price beforehand...big mistake but she said to pull off the surprise she wanted to pay for it after the party so her husband wouldn't find out. She goes to write me a check and says " so in a grocery store this would be what...20$?" I reply " I don't think 20$ would even cover my materials.' Well I got paid 60$ for the cake but just can't believe she thought that was all it was worth. All that work and 20$??????? Gonna try post a pic otherwise it's the yard themed cake in my pics. Figured only those of you out there doing this would really understand. thx!

35 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 36

yep, we understand! Others have no idea what goes into making cakes! They also don't get that your supplies cost more for you than a frozen cake at wholesale does for a grocery store! You have to pay retail, and for much more work!

I'm fortunate enough that my family has seen me in action, and been around long enough to realize what I put into it - so they are VERY appreciative.

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 36

I just look at your picture.,.the cake is awesome.. i think if someone offered me 20 for a cake like that i would laugh at them! Great work BTW!

bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 36

don't get discouraged...just use this a learning experience.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 36

great cake, $60 is not enough for that cake, what is she nuts?

joviolette Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 36

icon_smile.gif
Thank-you! Guess it's all a part of the learning process. Hi there B.C. Canada...I was born and raised in Salmon Arm..."Oh Canada!" icon_razz.gif

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:39pm
post #7 of 36

correct response: In a grocery store, you can't get a cake like this!

Awesome cake! Please don't take it personally. People truly don't understand what we put into these cakes, not only financially, but the time and talent as well.

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:39pm
post #8 of 36

That is an adorable cake! Next time someone questions your pricing, hand them some gum paste and order them to make a flamingo!

wendalynn11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalynn11 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:39pm
post #9 of 36

That for $20! With all of the custom fondant work!!! I would have charged 3.50-4.00 per serving with all of that fondant work! Nice cake by the way!

Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:51pm
post #10 of 36

That's a really great cake, you're details are amazing.

I'd like to know what grocery store she's expecting to find that in icon_confused.gif , maybe I'm shopping at the wrong places lol.

Did she grumble about the $60, or did she see the light when you told her the $20 wouldn't even cover costs?

A lot of times people don't mean to be insulting when they hazard a guess at the price, they just really don't know how to put a number on it. That's why it's our job to educate them!

Again, I love your cake.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:09am
post #11 of 36

I do not have experience selling decorated cakes but honey, that cake looks like it's worth more than 60 buck. The details on that cake are awesome!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:16am
post #12 of 36

She probably thought because you were family that you shouldnt be charging her in the first place. You will come across stuff like that a lot. They think your time and money is free because you know them or are related. Dont let it get you down. Just know that everyone comes across people like this. You can do one of two things. Do the cake and let them walk all over you. Not this time but everytime because once they get it for free they think that your not suppose to charge them. Or charge them and they will either get the picture or go buy the grocery store cake next time which will free up your time for people who appreciate the art and time and commitment it takes to do this kind of work!

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:16am
post #13 of 36

[quote="shelbur10"]correct response: In a grocery store, you can't get a cake like this!

My thoughts exactly.
The grocery stores around here just stick plastic toys on top. No fondant or anything unique or special.

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:29am
post #14 of 36

Are you kidding me? I'd give you $20 for the flamingo - in fact, now I really do want a pink flamingo! Anyway, I am in the same boat. People look at me and ask how much and I don't have the confidence yet to look them in the eye and charge them for the 20 hours of work that went into their cake. It kinda makes me sad, too. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I love caking and hope I can make the cake fantastic some day, and I don't want to try to get rich off of others, but neither do I want to put my heart and soul and VALUABLE time into these cakes for nothing more than a smile and a thank you. I'm starting to feel like charging extra to compensate for the financial impact on my wardrobe from my ever-expanding backside. My kids have actually made up a song about BUTTercream!!!! Why do we set ourselves up for this abuse! I think a good approach - and I am doing this myself - would be to just go ahead and get a price list out there. That way, they can decide if they wanna pay for the good stuff before we ever get started! You'd think someone with a mouth full of buttercream icing would be sweeter.....

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:38am
post #15 of 36

Never be discouraged by what someone thinks your cakes are worth. They just don't know any better. You did a fabulous job and learned a good lesson...always talk price before you bake. Love the flamingo!

floridagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floridagal Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:51am
post #16 of 36

Before I saw the cake I was feeling a little bit more charitable - cake muggles really don't have a clue about what we put into our cakes. But now that I saw your cake I can't believe that she thought $20 would be even close to what that cake was worth!! Has she not bought ANYTHING in the past 10 years!?! People never cease to amaze me!

Unfortunately, you'll probably run into alot more people that don't realize how expensive custom cakes are. Just keep perfecting you skill and, most importantly, have fun!! icon_biggrin.gif

Melissa

poptart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poptart Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:51am
post #17 of 36

LOL....I need to hear the BUTTercream song icon_lol.gif My BUTTer gets bigger by the second!!! Don't be discouraged. People that understand and appreciate you will keep coming back. Everyone else will go to Walmarticon_smile.gif

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:55am
post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by joviolette

" so in a grocery store this would be what...20$?"

No, in a couture cake shop this would be $200...

Great cake, don't let them get you down - always talk price up front even if you don't mind being paid after the event.

We all have to deal with them (not sure who first thought up the phrase "cake muggles" but I love it!) It's part ignorance about the amount of work we have to put in and part thinking we are all soooo happy for their wedding/birthday etc that we would gladly work for free!

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:06am
post #19 of 36

That was one cheap b***** with a hell of a nerve! Your cake is fantastic and if I were you I would never make another cake for her again regardless if she were willing to pay or not. You know the bs about people not knowing what goes into our cake is a crock, they know they just either are to cheap or they pretend to be dumb. Keep baking and decorating, your work is great and do not be discouraged. Sorry for the anger but people like this just tick me off!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:18am
post #20 of 36

this sure does happen to many of us. people think that store bought cakes are the same as homemade. the best thing is to give them the price up front so there will be no mistakes as to how much it cost...and it will save you a lot of aggrevation! icon_wink.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:20am
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptart

I need to hear the BUTTercream song

Me, too -- PLEASE share the lyrics, I'd like it to be my new themesong!!

Now, back to the cake. It was amazing, as is the black and white one in your photos.

Don't let it get you down. $20?? Pfff. .. ... .

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:29am
post #22 of 36

First of all let me tell you your cakes are very nice.
And I would feel offended not discourage girl. You have one cheap couzin lol.
Do you thing she was maybe playing around with you? She knows theres no way she could of gotten something like that in the market, and specially not for 20 bucks.

By the way your wedding cake (black n white) is beutiful

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:54am
post #23 of 36

The cake is wonderful and worth whatever YOU determine it is worth since you are the one pouring all the hard work and talent into the cake.

I have learned like other posters that the best way to not be discouraged about the pricing issue is to discuss and agree on a price before the oven gets turned on. That way there is no misunderstanding or resentment and if they don't want to pay what the cake is worth they can always hit the local Walmart.

That black and white cake in your photos is way cool BTW!

joviolette Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:57am
post #24 of 36

Wow...thanks everyone. You know honestly she didn't make a big deal out of the 60$ but I think it was me feeling the reaction of the 20$. You've made me feel better about this and I know it was a big no-no not confirming price ahead of time. I do need a price sheet because I realize that what I want to do...scratch baking and custom cakes is not something everyone is going to want to pay for. It's not like I'm really making any money doing this but I really want to keep going and see where I can take this, may not be for awhile cause I have 2 boys under 4 but I'm still excited about cakes! Thanks all! thumbs_up.gif

JudyDP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JudyDP Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:16am
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayerim979

Do you thing she was maybe playing around with you? She knows theres no way she could of gotten something like that in the market, and specially not for 20 bucks.

That is what I thought....That she was just kidding you! Are you sure she wasn't just teasing?

Your cakes are beautiful! Don't be discouraged....BE PROUD!!! You are very talented! thumbs_up.gif

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:33am
post #26 of 36

so in a grocery store that cake would be $20?? more like in a grocery store a cake that awesome would be NON-EXISTANT!

lildragon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lildragon Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 7:03am
post #27 of 36

I always thought custom cakes were overpriced......that was before I started making them.....I can only say now, that after you've poured your heart and soul into them, banished your children for hours, sometimes days......and can't remember the last time you've seen your ramily because you're so engrossed in one cake.....that even $10 a serving doesn't seem enough. I applaud you for your work....your cakes look great. Don't even think of letting her remark hold you back!

floridagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floridagal Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:05pm
post #28 of 36

I agree with lildragon, I never realized how totally consuming this cake art is!! I think everyone is so used to seeing the decorators at their local grocery store knock out a cake in just a couple of minutes that everyone thinks custom cakes can't be that much harder! My 'cake ladies' at Publix are very talented - at least Terri and Autumn are! They can make some beautiful BC cakes in no time. I think they should have a real time window where people can watch how long it takes from start to finish on a 'simple' cake. Baking, flavors, filling, frosting, fondant, figures, stencils, writing, support systems, cooling, mixing colors, deciding on the design, changing the design, etc...We don't just go to the cooler and pull out a frosted sheet cake and slap some stuff on it! Where's the fun in that!?!

Melissa

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:26pm
post #29 of 36

Ofcourse even with a price list you will still get those people that want it for cheaper.
I would love to hear the Butt..er..cream song! I bet its hysterical! Can I be kimmiesue2?? lol, Actually my nickname is usually kimski or my husband calls me honeybumperstumperrumper. Long story short, he programmed my cd player in my car to say a different word on a different setting. So every time I changed the channel it would pop up Honey. Then another channel Bumper...etc. I think he was bored!

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:41pm
post #30 of 36

I truly do wish you could hear my boys serenade me! They are 18 and 15, with a couple of extra 15-16 year olds thrown in that always seem to be hanging around (and my DH to keep 'em stirred up.) This does it no justice, but if you can imagine...all of them look homeless with their "stylish" long hair....chorus to the tune of YMCA, but substituted with - oh yeah - B U T T (background falsetto chorus it's buttacream buttacream buttacream) something along the lines of "mom's throwing a fit 'cause her pants don't fit" "too bad she can't scream 'cause her mouth is always full of BUTTacream." My youngest bought me a balance ball, weights and exer-bands. They even made fun of my baby feet cake - said I should write "Hope It's Human" on the cake because the feet looked like alien feet! That said, they make my life like one hilarious cartoon and keep me moving.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%