Flavor Question

Baking By ylil Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 3:33pm by cylstrial

ylil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ylil Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 5

I have way overthought this already, so I need some guidance, please. I'm hosting a baby shower and I want to make cupcakes. I would like to have a white cake, a chocolate cake, a chocolate frosting and a vanilla frosting (I'm also making red velvet mini cupcakes, just for variety).

I've found the cake I want to use for the white cake (White Chocolate Whisper cake) and I've found a vanilla buttercream that I like (a modified version of sugarshack's).

I've already made most of the fondant decorations for the tops (the baby face flowers - or something like that, I can't remember what I called them when I posted the pic asking for suggestions and criticism on them), and I've made about 60 cupcakes today looking for the right flavor...I tried a buttercream with flavored coffee creamer and I really didn't like that, sooo, anybody have a great chocolate cake and frosting that everyone loves every time?

Thanks so much!
~Lily

4 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:12pm
post #2 of 5

Scratch or doctored boxed mix?

There are lots of members here who swear by Scott Clark Wooley's chocolate cake (scratch - in the forum archives - it was posted in a thread). And then there are those here who really love the Darn Good Chocolate Cake by the Cake Doctor (boxed mix - in the recipe file).

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ylil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ylil Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:38am
post #3 of 5

Thank you, Theresa, I'll go with either scratch or doctored. I'll check out both of those you suggested. Thanks again!

Lily

ursular Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ursular Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 10:13am
post #4 of 5

I have found Sue B's Chocolate cake a winner every single time (CC recipes) for both cakes and cupcakes. People rave about it and can't believe it's from scratch. It is also a very easy cake to make. Hope this helps. icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 5

I use the killer chocolate cake recipe on here and it's delicious. I often pair it up with Buttercream Dream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%