cathyscakes Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:52pm
post #1 of

I just made marshmallow fondant that has corn syrup in it. This fondant never got hard, it was like caramel. Did I do something wrong, or is this consistancy it is suppose to be. It made it really hard to work with, I cut out diamonds and they were so stretchy that it was hard to place on the cake. I finally got them on the cake, but it was stressful. Just wondering if anyone else used this recipe. It didn't take all of the powdered sugar called for, maybe I should have kept working it in. I wonder how hard it was to cut, never heard back about it. It turned out o.k. but it was tough.

8 replies
dsilvest Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:02pm
post #2 of

I think you probably needed to add more powdered sugar. If it was still too stretchy the second day then you need to add sugar.

crystalina1977 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:58pm
post #3 of

yep, sounds like you should have kneaded in more sugar. the MMF recipe I use (rhonda's ultimate found here) calls for corn syrup and i know that stage you are talking about. just add more sugar and you should be fine.

cblupe Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:09pm
post #4 of

I made Jensen's MMF yesterday - it has corn syrup-2TBS, 1TBS-vanilla, 1TBS-almond, 1TBS-butter flavorings and it starts with 3 - 5 TBS water with 1 TBS lemon juice. I didn't think I would ever get enough powdered sugar mixed into it. I was thinking maybe it uses teaspoons and not tablespoons for the flavorings. Has anyone else used this recipe?

Thanks,
Carol

crystalina1977 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:26pm
post #5 of

that sounds like too much liquid...this is the recipe for rhonda's ultimate:
15 oz. mini marshmallows
2 T water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
2 tsp light corn syrup (helps w/ pliability)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon extract
2 lbs (approx 7 C) confectioner's sugar, sifted
1/2 C Crisco or vegetable shortening

less than 4 tablespoons total liquid.......

cathyscakes Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 5:26am
post #6 of

Thanks everyone. So I should use all of the powdered sugar, it seemed smooth before all of the sugar was added, so I stopped. But I was so surprised at the consistancy, like I said so stretchy. I'll have to try it again and do it the right way. I thought maybe the corn syrup made it more like a candy clay, so you like the recipe when done correctly?

leif Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 11:07am
post #7 of

I always make mmf just with marshmallows water and sugar.
I did try adding cornsyrup once, but I didn't like it as it doesn't dry very well. Bows, for instance, don't get the expected effect.

cathyscakes Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:19pm
post #8 of

ya leif, I know what you mean, nothing got hard, did you put all of the powdered sugar in, I didn't, so I thought maybe that was the reason

leif Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:24pm
post #9 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyscakes

ya leif, I know what you mean, nothing got hard, did you put all of the powdered sugar in, I didn't, so I thought maybe that was the reason

I don't measure very well every thing.
I put the melted marshmallows with some water (don't measure that either) on the stand mix and then add the sugar until I think it's good...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%