Sweating Fondant In Humidity

Decorating By requel Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 1:27am by Texas_Rose

requel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
requel Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 7

Okay Guy's
How do you deal with fondant sweating in humid climates, how do you get them to behave until you have finished decorating them or waiting for them to dry out , I tried cooling the butter cream on the cake first but this becomes a problem because the butter cream also sweats after being out of the refrigerator . I saw where someone said to dry GP flowers use a humidifier should I try this also any ideas will help this go especially to the those in warm areas.
Thanks

6 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:04am
post #2 of 7

I don't know the answer to this, but I see no one's answered yet and you're getting lower on the list - BUMP!

rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:12am
post #3 of 7

I have been experiencing this lately living in Texas and all. I put a small fan in the kitchen while I am working with the fondant......it's worked so far. Maybe someone else has some other suggestions

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:38am
post #4 of 7

I've only had problems with humidity and fondant once...it was the yellow cake in my photos and the fondant was so wet it's a miracle that it went on the cake at all. Anyhow, I made that cake when my air conditioner was out and it was 95 degrees in the house. I bought a dehumidifier after that.

If your air conditioner works the way it should, then you shouldn't need anything else to help with humidity while you're working with fondant. It might be a recipe issue rather than a humidity issue.

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:46am
post #5 of 7

I'm not sure why you are saying the fondant is sweating. Has it been in the fridge or is it sweating just sitting at room temp.

Here in Florida, I've had both happen. If it's been in the fridge, your best bet is never put fondant in the fridge. If it's sweating just at room temp, I hate to say it, but I pump my air down to 70 degrees while putting the fondant on my cakes. I have no choice. The fondant can become a total mess if I don't.

Before I apply the fondant, I stick my entire cake into the freezer while I color and roll out my fondant - not more than 10 minutes at the most. it helps harden up the buttercream. I spritz the cake with water and apply fondant. No sweating issues. But again, my AC bill is atrocious!

Hope this helps. Good luck!

requel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
requel Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:17am
post #6 of 7

To underthesun, and texas_rose
underthesun I have the same weather as you I tried firming up the cake in the refrigerator then spritzing I was making a suitcase cake the fondant weat so much that the markings on the cake kept disappearing so I had to mark them over and over, To texas_rose why did you use a dehumidifier did it pulled moisture from the air?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:27am
post #7 of 7

The dehumidifier will remove water from the air. Mine has a 2 gallon bucket and when I leave it running all the time, it will have to be emptied twice a day...which is a lot of water for my not-too-large living space. The downside to the dehumidifier is that it puts out some heat. I needed the dehumidifer because my air conditioner was barely working and my landlord wouldn't replace it (they finally replaced the AC in October, those buttheads). Usually the air conditioner does the work of a dehumidifer. Most of the time you can pull the filter out and look at the water running down the coils and know that your air conditioner is taking the water out (you won't be able to see that if the machine is in the ceiling). The dehumidifer cost $200 and it was a pain to empty the bucket twice a day, so don't buy one unless you're absolutely sure that you need one. The good thing about it though was that it made the temp in the house tolerable even without a working AC...we used the dehumidifer and a good fan in each room and somehow survived the crazy heat we get in the summers.

Maybe you'd have better luck spritzing your cake with vodka than with water? I haven't tried it, I usually put a bit of buttercream over my crumb coat before I put the fondant on, but when I paint fondant, the vodka dries quickly. Everclear would dry even faster.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%