Sheet Cake

Decorating By Lemasmom Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 1:50am by JanH

Lemasmom Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 5

How many boxes of cake mix does it take for one layer sheet cake?

4 replies
DeeDelightful Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 5

1 layer 9 x 13: 1 box (won't bake up very high), you might want to mix up two so you can fill the pan a little more and make some cupcakes

11 x 15: two boxes (entire batch of batter)

12 x 18: 3 boxes: may have a little batter left over

Kissycake Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 5

for an 11X14 size I use two boxes.

miny Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 5

For a sheet cake I use 4 or 5 depending on the high I need, but a sheet cake is a huge cake anyway.

JanH Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:50am
post #5 of 5

Hi and Congrats on your 1st post, Lemasmom. icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted by Lemasmom

How many boxes of cake mix does it take for one layer sheet cake?

Since sheets cakes come in numerous sizes you need to be more specific. If this cake is for a customer, it's advisable to let them know your usual serving size is, and then ask how many servings they want. Then bake a cake that makes that amount of servings....

They could be thinking a sheet cake for 12 servings and you're making a cake that serves 90...

Everything you need to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer/sheet cakes:

There are links to Wilton's cake preparation charts which give sheet cake sizes and batter requirements by pan size. Obviously, if your sheet cake is only a single layer, you'll need to half the servings yield given. And a 2x2x2 is equal to a 1x2x4 (wedding) serving while a 3x2x2 is equal to a 1-1/2x2x4 (party) serving.

The above link also has several versions of the WASC doctored cake mix recipe which yields a tad over 14 cups of batter (when made with 2 DH white cake mixes).

Quote by @%username% on %date%