Do You Ever Struggle With Colors?

Decorating By Heatherly30 Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 1:06am by underthesun

Heatherly30 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a tropical/Hawaii/waterfall cake, and I am struggling with the green. Leaf green is too Tinkerbellish, Forest green is to jungle, Kelly Green seems ok, but I hope it's not too bright. I sit and stare at it, look at pics on here of other green cakes, hold my icing up to the screen to compare, etc.

Am I the only color obsessed person out here?

3 replies
Bellatheball Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 4

Have you tried a color wheel? You can get them at art supply stores, Hobby Lobby etc. If you get a big enough one, you'll get tons of shades and learn how to get them.

Heatherly30 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 4

Good idea! How would I know which colors to buy?

underthesun Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:06am
post #4 of 4

This probably sounds silly, but after teaching Elementary Art, I'm an expert on the color wheel and what can be done with the primary colors.

Bellatheball is right on track. get yourself a color wheel, maybe even google a lesson about the color wheel and sit down with a kids set of watercolors. Start mixing! Mix all your primaries, all your secondaries and then complimentary. Mix different amounts of two colors to find their different tones.

On your green... remember yellow and blue make green. Different shades of blue can really give you a drastic change in your green. Try small amouts of what you've already mixed and add just a bit of a different blue to each of them. maybe you'll find the color you're looking for.

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%