Help! Need To Make Drive-In Tray/board!

Decorating By Renaejrk Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 4:15am by Renaejrk

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 10

Okay - I am making a cheetos and orange crush cake for a 50th anniversary, but I want to put it on a drive in tray - because that's where they got the cheetos and crush! I don't want to use just a plain old board - I thought a tray would be so special for this cake! I have an idea about bending strips of metal (DH is an electrician and has tools to do this) to make the "hangers" and "stands" for it, but it's the tray I'm not sure about. I don't think I could make cardboard into the right shape, and I think it would not only take TOO MUCH gumpaste/fondant, but wouldn't be sturdy enough to be the board, even with another board under it.

I have looked for large trays, but have had no luck finding one big enough, since the cake/cakes are to feed about 40, I'll need a tray about the size of a full sheet board, maybe a little smaller to compensate for the metal "hangers" on one side of it.

Any ideas?

9 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 10

OK just for clarification purposes those are not the flavors right icon_lol.gif

I got so tripped up on the cheetoes and orange crush I forgot to add:

Can you use a thin masonite board as a base under a thick gumpast tray?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 10

What about a large baking pan (like a jelly roll pan)?

Cookie45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie45 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 10

Go to the internet and get a picture as an expample or go to a Sonic restaurant and ask to borrow one. Sometimes they will do stuff like that especially if you tell them how you plan to mention their restaurant during the event.

Renaejrk Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 10

This is going to have to be the size of a full sheet board, approx., so it would take a lot of gumpaste - also, sonic doesn't have trays anymore, but if they did they'd be way too small.

The jellyroll pan sounds interesting, though - do you know if they make them that big?

tiggy2 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:15pm
post #6 of 10

Bakeries have them that big. If you have a local resturant supply check there or do a search on the internet.

Renaejrk Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 10

YES!! A restaurant supplier in okc had some! Yeah!!! Now to get DH to make the metal bars on it!! icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:44am
post #8 of 10

Glad it worked out!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:52am
post #9 of 10

You can also go to your local grocery store and ask the meat department for one of their trays. They use them for putting chicken or hamburger meat on before they have the wrapper wrap it in the saran wrap! (especially since you probably only need one and a restaurant supply place will make you buy them in bulk!)

Renaejrk Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 4:15am
post #10 of 10

actually, this supply store is open to the public and let me buy just one! only $12 AWESOME!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%