Gumpaste Lilies - Need Help

Decorating By mmgiles Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 8:57pm by mmgiles

mmgiles Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 7

I have these two cutters. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to attach the petals together. What am I doing wrong? It seems like when I attach them it just breaks, I've even tried hiding a little extra gumpaste in the back to add some stability.

I tried making the Wilton flower too that looks like a lily. Kind of like the one in this picture. I have a cake coming up I need to make this for.

6 replies
peg818 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 7

When i do lilies i do each petal wired then just tape them together with florist tape.

mmgiles Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 7

Any suggestions on how to wire the petals? Or how to shape them so that when you wire them together they dont break?

gerripje Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 7

I've looked at what seems like hundreds of sites with tutorials and now can't find one!! I am coveting one of the cel boards that have grooves in them for the wires. I tried making my own grooves in stiff foam without much success. One way I read is to make your paste into a sausage and instert wire. Then roll out the paste being careful of the wire in the middle doesn't get too thin or stay too thick. Then use your cutter over top. I hope that makes some sense, but I really think I will be ordering the boards that have the grooves for the wires to sit in, every flower I want to make needs each petal wired so I guess I should get it!!

peg818 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 7

Well there are a couple of ways to wire petals. First picture looks like there are vieners with that set. so that is what i would use. Now if you are trying to make that orchid with those cutters it isn't going to work. They will give you more of a standard lilie, like a stargazer

First make your centers. If using store bought stamens then wire and tape them together.

Roll your gumpaste for your petals leaving the center thicker then the outer edges (or use a cel board with the grooves) Cut your petal with the thicker center in the center of the cutter. Dip your florist wire in gum glue and carefully insert (i use Japanese paper covered wire)then vein the petal and let dry in a former. When dry using 1/4 width floral tape, tape 3 petals evenly spaced around the center. Then tape the next 3 spaced between the first ones.

peg818 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:39pm
post #6 of 7

If you go to cel cakes web site they sometimes have boards that have slight defects (seconds) and they are much cheaper then buying a first. That is how i got mine. Saved alot even after the $ exchange and shipping.

mmgiles Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:57pm
post #7 of 7

Does anyone know a way without the cel board? I was trying to do a couple different types of flowers. I wasnt having much luck with the wilton directions so I tried making a my own methods which was just as bad.

Quote by @%username% on %date%