Cake Levelers

Decorating By mrsclox Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 9:53pm by BeeBoos-8599_

mrsclox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsclox Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 19

I have the small and large Wilton cake levelers. I really like the small one, but the large one sucks! It cut my cakes very unevenly! My husband says it's because it's a blade rather than a wire like the small one. What does everyone else to to level and torte their cakes? I'm scared to use a knife and free hand it. I don't want to ruin my cake that way.

18 replies
Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 19

I just have the small Wilton leveler. I REALLY want an Agbay. But, it's out of my price range. Something I learned on here that I have been doing lately is that when the cake comes out of the oven....if you have that dome on top...put some wax paper over it and then put something heavy on top of that. Leave for a bit. When you remove the heavy object the cake is pretty much level. I haven't had to level lately because of that tip!

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 19

I will have to try the wax paper and heavy object trick. Do you find that that the cake's texture is altered any?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:36am
post #4 of 19

I just use a knife now. I find that the large Wilton one is good with really dense cake but didn't do very well with WASC.

Try saving for an Agbay. I've heard great things about it.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 19

My dad got me an Agbay for Christmas. It was the best present ever!!

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:08pm
post #6 of 19

Agbay makes torting cakes fun!

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:22pm
post #7 of 19

I had the small Wilton leveler and threw it away after the first use (only because I had thrown away the reciept and couldn't return it). I now use the large Wilton one and I love it, it works on every cake that I have made. It took some getting use to but to me it's easier than a knife because the legs sit level on the counter top. I let my cakes cool, then I leave them on the cooling rack and use the leveler to either level or torte or both depending on what I'm doing. The trick is, it is a blade so you have to use it like one, you can't just pull it through the cake, you have to cut. It does work the best when the cake is cooled to room temperature. I looked at the Agbay, but since I just do this for fun I can't justify the cost.

I haven't tried the wax paper and heavy object trick, sounds logical. I do whack my cake pans like a maniac before I put them in the oven and that seems to really help with the dome issue too. Don't have to level nearly as much and what I do goes in my scrap bag in the freezer for cake balls later.

keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:41pm
post #8 of 19

I use the small Wilton. I have had NO luck with the larger one at all. I keep hearing about the Agbay and I've recently had someone else tell me about the applying pressure to the cake when it is done baking. Haven't tried that yet.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:50pm
post #9 of 19

When I do an internet search for Agbay, I'm not coming up with anything. Anybody have a website?

mgwebb68 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:52pm
post #10 of 19

www.agbayproducts.com

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:07pm
post #11 of 19

i have also had issues with the large cake leveler, the small wire one works great.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:19pm
post #12 of 19

I'm ordering an agby next month and the large wilton one is gong in the trash.

cdent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdent Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:28pm
post #13 of 19

I have a tip for leveling off round cakes icon_smile.gif I put each layer on a turntable and hold my Serrated Knife level where I want the top to be removed and don't move the knife at all. Turn the cake and slowly (still keeping level) to start the cutting process then move the knife inward and before you know it, the top is off and it is perfectly leveled, no sawing required. I hope that makes sense...it does in my head! lol

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:35pm
post #14 of 19

If I could keep the knife level I wouldn't have a problem LOL icon_smile.gif

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:19pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgwebb68

www.agbayproducts.com

Woooo-boy, that is expensive!

mgwebb68 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:40pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgwebb68

www.agbayproducts.com

Woooo-boy, that is expensive!

You got that right, way out of my budget. That's why I'm stickin with what works. Can't make a knife work to save my life. After all the point is to level it. When I get done with the knife they are great candidates for a Topsy Turvey though.

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:15pm
post #17 of 19

Does anyone know what kind of leveler Duff uses? I've seen them on the show but they're definitely not Agbays.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:51pm
post #18 of 19

I use my husbands table saw. Works like a charm!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:53pm
post #19 of 19

GOTCHA!! Hehehehe I could not resist. ANyway, I use the wilton wire cutter and have had the same one for about 4 years. It is not working like it used to. Do you think cutting cake could actually dull these things?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%