Filling A Cake With Cheesecake?

Decorating By rharris524 Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 11:44pm by rharris524

rharris524 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 12

I was asked about doing a cake that was a layer of chocolate cake, a layer of cheesecake and then another layer of chocolate cake...with possibly cherry filling between the layers. Any advice?

ETA: I don't have a spring form pan and I'd rather not have to purchase one if possible

11 replies
rharris524 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 12

bump

DancingCakes2008 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 12

Just line your pan with parchment paper and it will come out nice and clean. I spray my pan with Pam so the paper will stick.

Hope this will help.

Ang

Beckalita Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 12

It is doable....and you don't need a springform pan for cheesecake, any regular cake pan will work....just line it with parchment paper and bake as directed in recipe.

mariela_ms Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 12

have you done a search in the forums about this by any chance? I think I read a thread about this a couple of weeks ago. Sorry I of no help, hopefull you can find that thread! Good luck...
BTW...that cake sounds delicious!!! icon_biggrin.gif

renee2007 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 12
ibmoser Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 12

Toba Garrett has a recipe in her book, The Well-Decorated Cake, for
"Chocolate Cake Cheesecake" that is two layers of chocolate cake with a cheesecake layer (baked in a regular cake pan) in the middle - stuck together with cream cheese buttercream. I baked it for my neighbor's birthday last year, and it baked well and looked tall and terrific. But, even though DH and I lingered at the door, she never offered either of us a single slice icon_cry.gif , so I can't comment on the taste. She said it was good. If you don't have the book, check your library or even a book store as I haven't seen this recipe shared anywhere by Chef Toba icon_redface.gif

crystalina1977 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:54pm
post #8 of 12

i have used the ready to go cheesecake in the tubs made by philly several times. i would definitely recommend that. they have plain and chocolate, ive seen key lime before but have never tried it. ive flavored the plain with fresh ginger for a pumpkin cake, cinnamon or maple for a carrot cake, and layered fruit preserves with it as well.

Cheyanne25 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:01pm
post #9 of 12

I just did this for a carrot cake last week. Although I did use spring form pans, as others have said they are not necessary. I would recommend using a hot water bath (bain marie) to help the cheesecake cook more evenly, that's just my own preference though. Doesn't help that I've got a wonky oven.

noyhoward Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 12:58pm
post #10 of 12

I don't know if this what you're looking for but I made alot of my cakes with cheesecake filling & sometime I add puree on top of the cheesecake filling.It helps cut down the sweetness of the buttercream @ least to me it does.Here is the recipe that I use(I think this is MacsMom's recipe):
1 c cream cheese
1/4 c sweetened condensed milk
2 tsp cheesecake flavor
2 c bettercreme

FlourPots Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 11:01pm
post #11 of 12

I just got this: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Juniors-Cheesecake-Cookbook/Alan-Rosen/e/9781561588800

Let me say, I've never had any cookbook where I wanted to make every single thing inside...with this one I do!! The recipes and photos are to-die-for (just like the title says).

One small chapter (6 recipes) is dedicated to the "Skyscraper" style...cake and cheesecake layers combined.

The Devil's Food has three thin layers of cake!!!
LL

rharris524 Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 11:44pm
post #12 of 12

Oh, I forgot to update... I made it and it was AWESOME! Everyone agreed that it was the best cake they ever had (it is the one with the red drizzles in my photos). Anyhow, it was two layers of devils food cake with the cheesecake in the middle and then I filled it with cherries (pie filling with most of the goo drained off) and iced in cream cheese icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%