Sheet Cake

Decorating By dinie Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 3:47pm by indydebi

dinie Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 5

When I make a sheet cake it seems as if the corners are dry!!! So how can I keep that from happening? Do most people trim the corners or what?

dinie icon_sad.gif

4 replies
LeckieAnne Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 5

Are you lowering your oven temp. 25 degrees? I do that -- for large cakes I also use the Bake Even strips that you soak in water put around the outer edge of the pan -- keeps the corners and edges from cooking so much faster than the middle of the cake. Also - I put a flower nail in the center of the pan to help the middle cook. Someone on here had a picture of how that works.

kakeladi Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 5

Sorry to say you are over bakingicon_smile.gif
Yes, bake at 300 to 325 degrees. Use paper towels, cut-up strips of old towels; or buy Bake-Even strips and soak in water before applying to the outside of the pan.

When using paper towels soak well then run between 2 fingers to remove any dripping/excess water and slap on the pan. If they do not stick they are not wet enough. I have used this process for more than 20 years w/o problems. Others (to who I suggested this) said they toweling fell off onto the electric element and almost started a fire icon_sad.gif I'm sorry to hear that but I think they did not soak the towels enough.
If you use old towels or bake-even strips you have to make them big enough to go completely around the pan and pin the ends together.

For any pan the takes batter from one cake mix it should take about 30 minutes to bake up.

dinie Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 5

Yes I do lower my oven 25 degrees, I have tried putting the baking strips on but have problems getting them to stay on a sheet pan. I also do put a flower nail in the middle to get it to bake more evenly I have as much as put 2 nails in but it still seems to have dry corners, but not all the time. I just did one the day I posted this and it turned out perfect nice and moist corners. When you test you cakes to make sure they are finished how do you do it? I stick a skrew in and if it comes out wet I usually bake it more. I have read on another site to take it out with crumbs on it, have done that also but then it seems to sink in the middle. I just did a 14" round cake and it sink like about a 1/2" so then had to put a lot of icing in the middle to build it up to be level so please I need all the help available!!!!!!!

dinie icon_sad.gif

indydebi Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinie

Yes I do lower my oven 25 degrees, I have tried putting the baking strips on but have problems getting them to stay on a sheet pan.

You're either not pinning them tight enough or you have the wilton pans, which have a flare to them, which makes it a big difficult to attach the strips.

I really REALLY stretch those strips around the pan, and I apply them so that the loose end just barely goes around a corner. Then I can push the straight pin in "caddy-corner" on the corner (push in on side A of hte pan and the pin comes out on side B of the pan). This makes it easy to pin the strip on the pan without it coming loose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%