Help Dome Cake?

Decorating By yazzie82 Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 11:45am by Rylan

yazzie82 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 10

Does anyone know how to stop my cakes from having that dome on top when i take it out of the oven? I mean it bakes up to like a mountain peak.

9 replies
andiesweet Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 10

my cake decorating teacher always made a cross in the middle of her cakes before she baked them and the came out more level. At the bakery i work at, we fill and smooth the top of the batter with a spatula, then before they go into the oven we take out a small scoop of batter right from the center, and it seems to help with that hump.

SugarLover2 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 10

Have you tried the bake even strips? Those help and also when mine are done baking I take the cardboard round and put it on top of the cake while it's in the pan and sort of flatten it that way.

Stephi1 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 10

Bake even strips and a flower nail in the center. Works every time! HTH

Donnagardner Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 10

Bake at a lower temp (325) I almost never have to level cakes anymore. You can also use bake even strips. Another thing to do is use a clean tea towel and mash the cake down as soon as it comes out of the oven and hold it for a few seconds but watch out for the steam.

yazzie82 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 10

I do use the bake even strips but it still comes out with a hump.

yazzie82 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:04pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephi1

Bake even strips and a flower nail in the center. Works every time! HTH

do i leave the flower nail in the middle of the cake while it's baking in the oven?

kakeladi Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:06pm
post #8 of 10

Definitely lower that temp. Bake at 300 (or up to 325, but no more!) until you can smell that wonderful aroma of *cake!* icon_smile.gif
Yes, the bake even strips &/or a flower nail helps but I have baked for more than 25 yrs w/o using them and still have flat, level, moist cakes.
Also see this thread: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-634612.html

rharris524 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:10pm
post #9 of 10

My Wilton teacher said to get an oven thermometer b/c she said that most ovens are off by quite a number of degrees. I found out that mine is lower than it claims so I have to bake things that should be at 350, at 370 and then I'm fine. My cakes are almost perfectly flat...except my dang chocolate cakes, those always seem the be the biggest culprit

Rylan Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:45am
post #10 of 10

Oh yes, oven thermometers is a must in home baking. Sometimes ovens aren't accurate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%