What Should I Do?

Decorating By jdrew Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 10:16pm by cylstrial

jdrew Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 11

Last saturday morning I get a phone call from this lady, who I never done a cake for, asking for a cake for next Saturday. She told me what she wanted and how much it needs to serve. I was kind of hung over from the birthday party I went to the night before. When I got off the phone, I looked at the paper I was writing on. I under charged her by $30. I'm going to honor my price I gave her, but I need her to know that I messed up and I'm not that cheap. My BF said that I should say something when I give her the cake. I just don't want her to order again and think the price will be that low.

10 replies
CakesByJen2 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 11

Yes, definitely let her know. I'd just tell her when she picks up the cake, that you were distracted when she first called and accidentally mis-quoted the price, and you just wanted to let her know for future reference or referrals, that a cake of this type would normally be $xx.

I've done that several times, when I've give them a free upgrade because I want to try something new, or realized I might need to make a size bigger that I originally figured to achieve the proper look/proportions, or didn't realize how time-consuming a project was going to be when I priced it out.

jdrew Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks. I think thats what I'll do. I

just wanted a second opinion. thumbs_up.gif

diane Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:08am
post #4 of 11

you definitely have to tell her the mistake you made...but do honor the price you quoted. if not, she will probably not only expect a cheap price next time, but will tell others about your "cheap" prices too!

Rylan Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 11

I agree.

PinkZiab Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 11

Print up an invoice reflecting the price it SHOULD have been, and then note on the invoice the $30 "discount" (or however you want to phrase it--even if you note that it was made in error).

Anytime anyone gets any sort of discount from me (be it an error, a legitimate discount, a favor, whatever) I make clear note of it in their invoice so they see exactly how much of a favor I am doing them icon_wink.gif

Even when I donate a cake for charity there is an invoice as to how much the cake SHOULD have cost (for my tax purposes, and theirs).

jdrew Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 11

I dropped off the cake Saturday. I told her what CakesByJen2 said that I was distracted when she called. I told her my normal price. She totally understood. She wanted to pay the rest of the amount. I told her "no, I'm giving you the price I told you on the phone. I just telling you this for future orders." She was so happy cake, that she wasn't bothered by this at all.

Thanks for the advice!!

cakes22 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:06pm
post #8 of 11

Happy endings, love'em!!!

Glad she was happy with her cake and the price!!

Rylan Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:56pm
post #9 of 11

I'm glad she was happy and what a wonderful customer she is.

jdrew Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:43pm
post #10 of 11

I need to re read what my comment is before pushing the submit button.

...She was so happy about the cake....
I left off "about the". I'm glad that everybody got what I was writing.

I'm just glad everything went well.

cylstrial Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:16pm
post #11 of 11

That is awesome! What a great customer! I can't believe she offered to pay the difference...I don't think that most would!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%