Help With Marshmallow Fondant

Decorating By jenna15 Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 3:56pm by dsilvest

jenna15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenna15 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 4

I have a question about working with MMF. I made my first batch last week and I absolutely loved it!! (Tastes better and was cheaper!) But I made my batch just white and as I needed to color it I just took little chunks and colored it. My problem and questions come from when I was kneading in the color. The MMF started sticking to my surface and hands. In the Wilton courses I was taught to use shortening on the surface and on my hands. Does the same go for MMF or should I be using powdered sugar or should I be using the mix of p. sugar and cornstarch? I didn't know which way to go and some of the MMF got dry and crackly. UGH!! it was frustrating, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3 replies
crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 4

when i color my mmf i try to do it in the liquid stage, unless i only need a small amount colored. i use shortening on my hands and work surface while kneading.

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 4

shortening all the way!!!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 4

Use the shortening for the mixing of the colour.

A bit of powdered sugar when rolling it out.

If you add too much colour it changes the consistancy of the fondant. Add some fresh fondant to the colours that have become dry and are cracking. It should improve the texture.

I find that if you want a darker shade of a colour it is better to use dusting powders to achieve this rather than a lot of food colouring..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%