Black Ri

Baking By cotabeth Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 11:59pm by Sweetriley

cotabeth Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 7

I'm new to cookie decorating and have just begun to outline and flood. As far as black RI goes are you able to color the icing w/ the gel based black coloring?...are you able to make it that dark enough and not gray?

6 replies
TracyLH Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 7

Hi! Welcome to our little cookie world! icon_biggrin.gif Other may have thoughts to help, but here is what I do. First of all, I swear by Antonia74s RI recipe. Ever since I switched to that, no bleeding with black (just make sure it is completely dry). Here is the link to the recipe, if you need it:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1983-Antonia74-Royal-Icing.html

One thing though about the recipe in general, she is from Canada and her MP has vanilla flavor built in whereas ours here in the states does not, so I add 1 tsp. pure van. extract during the last minute of mixing. If I need it to be white, I use ¾ tsp. instead and balance the color with Americolor Bright White.

I mix it up, going more for thick and creamy, vice fluffy. For black, I add dark cocoa (I use Hersheys Special Dark) to get it about medium brown-ish (that hint comes from SweetDreamsAT). I then add Americolor Super Black, but not as black as I will need it to be in the end as I let it sit overnight to deepen. This way you use less black coloring. Hope this helps!

bonniebakes Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 7

I use americolor balck too - and it does get black, particularly if you color it to a dark gray and let it sit overnight to deepen. I have never gotten a true black from wilton color, though.

Sweetriley Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 7

I used Americolor "Super Black" today and a few drops make a dark black RI. It was great! Wilton colors are not that strong. You have to start with a chocolate base and use a ton of gel.

tonedna Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 7

Chefmaster colors works great too..
Edna icon_smile.gif

sandy1 Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 7

I'll be ordering some Super Black and Super Red coloring from Americolor!! I wish I had a store near by so I wouldn't have to spend so much on the shipping & handling. I haven't had much luck with Wilton Black or their Red unless I use just about the whole bottle!! Yuk!
Thanks everyone for your advise.
Sandy

Sweetriley Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 11:59pm
post #7 of 7

I agreee about Wilton. I had to use an entire bottle of Wilton red to color a red velvet cake and it STILL wasn't red enough. Plus you have to dig it out of the container-very messy. Now I'm a convert to Americolor. I but the large bottles to save on shipping. I should be their spokesperson!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%