Wasc ?- Bc Or Dh... And 2 Other Questions

Baking By neelycharmed Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 1:40am by Rylan

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,
i wrote this on the recipe section as well, but thought I would post here since I seem to get more responses.
I am making the WASC cake for the first time this weekend(gotta see about all this hype! LOL)
3 questions;
1. betty crocker or duncan hines? we don't get pillsbury here.
2. all purpose or cake flour?
3. whole eggs or just white?
TIA,
Jodi

5 replies
crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 6

i think it depends on the baker and the recipe. the *original* WASC by kakeladi says she prefers BC and regular flour and whole eggs.

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 6

i have made it with both and by the time you add everything to it there really is no difference. You can use whole egg or whites, i just use what the recipe says. It is a great cake......i just made one recently and had to substitute dannan light vanilla yogurt and sour cream, wow what a difference that made. I was so much sweeter. Ive just used all purpose flour.

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 6

did you like it better with the yogurt or sour cream?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:22am
post #5 of 6

Duplicate post, please also see:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-634564-.html

What cake mix and what type of flour you choose to use (as well as the addition of instant pudding) are all dependent on what type of cake texture you're trying to achieve.

BC & Pillsbury have one cup of pudding included in the cake mix, DH doesn't.
Cake flour yields a fine texturer & crumb than AP flour. (Also, ALL cake flour is bleached, not all AP is.)
Adding pudding (which is basically sugar and binders) results in a more brownie-like textured cake.

HTH

P.S. There are also two main WASC cake recipes (Rebecca Sutterby's and kakeladi's original). Additionally, Macsmom has some very doctored recipes she calls WASC variations, and mellee just posted using a recipe which seems to be a combination of Rebecca Sutterby's and kakeladi's original (less water but uses oil).

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:40am
post #6 of 6

I use the original WASC recipe.

1. I use Betty Crocker
2. APF
3. Whole eggs

Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%