Fondant For Gumpaste For Small Flowers?

Decorating By linsa Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 4:27am by Rylan

linsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linsa Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 7

I have a gum paste mix from like 6 years ago I've never used I"m wondering if it's still good? Also I need to make some small cut out flowers that sort of look like hydrangia. Should I use fondant or gum paste? I've never made flowers out of these, so I'm hoping I just roll it out thin with a pasta roller and cut it out and then stick a tooth pick or wrapper wire through it and let it dry...???

I have the edible food spray paint and was hoping to use this to color it or should I use alcohol and food coloring?

I bought some roses from the cake store and one is just a little too purple looking instead of pink...could I use the spray to re-color? Any help would be great!

6 replies
linsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linsa Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 7

help please!

hollylikescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollylikescake Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 7

I am certainly NOT the expert, but since you haven't got a reply. . .

If you are wanting to roll it out thin - use gum paste. Roll it out super thing. I've not made hydrangia before, but just google gum paste hydrangia and you can probably find a tutorial. You will have to do more than just cut it out with a cookie cutter, but most gum paste flowers aren't hard as long as you know what to do. They are time consuming though.

Don't see why you couldn't spray flowers you already have a different color if you have to resort to that.

Not sure about the expiration date, but people don't tend to eat gum paste flowers, so if there is no expiration date on the bag I would try it. However you need to make the gumpaste then let it sit for a day before you use it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 7

As for the gp mix......it might depend on what brand it is. Is it Wilton's GumTex? Is it a dry powder that you add to? If so, most likely it will be just fine.

As for the too dark rose - if you have an airbrush, spray it pink very lightly - I assume that's the color you are going foricon_smile.gif
OR you can dust it w/pearl dust or white petal dust.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 7

Hi, I mainly make my flowers from fondant with a small addition of Wilton
Gumtex to make it dry hard. You can use the Wilton Spray Mist for color, don't hold it too close to flower, it will over saturate the thing giving it a mottled appearance, the fondant will feel weird after drying. You can also use petal dust mixed lemon extract, that works great also. Not sure whether that 6 year can will work out. It may be really clumpy. Check for expiration with wilton site. I have made hydrangeas, Look at the tutorials, not hard to make. I also watched a video on Wild Flower Cakes done by Sugar Rush, where it showed, however quickly how the owner did a great job of making gumpaste roses and hydrangeas. Her flowers to me are gorgeous. (hth) I have pictures here of my fondant flowers-Hammy's fondant flowers, it shows different flowers colored using this methods. I also make my flowers using Edna from Design Me A Cake, tutorial I just use fondant. Edna is so cool!
Hammy

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 7

Sorry, made a mistake the picture is titled Hammy's fondant Roses
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1342540.html.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1306489.com HTH
Hammy icon_redface.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:27am
post #7 of 7

I usually make my flowers with a mixture of Wilton fondant and Santin Ice gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%