Call Me Crazy But IM Quitting My Day Job

Business By ShopGrl1128 Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 3:10pm by FatFace

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 17

Good morning friends:

Today Ive decided that in order to keep my sanity I need to quit my day job.

I have a decent day job with health and dental insurance, thats what keeps me from leaving, but Im afraid if I dont quit my cake business will never be what is meant to be.
Ive been booked with cakes every weekend since the second week of January and Im fully booked for the next couple of months, and Ive been turned away lots of business because I dont have time to do it.

Im trying to open a shop, and things are taking too much time because I dont even have time to make phone calls until after 6:00pm and I cant meet people during the day of course.
I need an electrician and a plumber to start working on the shop but it wont happen anytime soon, I havent been able to get permits and approvals from the township because again, I dont have time.

Ive come to the conclusion, I cant do it allI thought I was super woman, but Im not.
I usually work on cakes EVERY single day of the week, Monday through Sunday and by the time Im done and the kitchen is clean, its 3:00am.
When I go to bed I cant fall sleep because I have so many things going through my head, my to-do list never ends.

I cant do this anymore, I have permanent dark circles under my eyes, I feel emotionally and physically drained and overwhelmed with the cakes, and all the stuff that needs to be done in the shop.

I know the economy is bad right now, but I have some money saved, and my only debt is my car payment, which is not that much anyways.

Im done, I give up

Thanks for listening.

16 replies
MBoyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBoyd Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 17

I completely relate!

Just remember, No one can do it all.... even Batman had a butler.

Hang in there, it sounds like you've got plenty of business, in spite of the economy!

Good luck!!!!!!

cakeaddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddiction Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 17

This type of decision is never easy. Good luck and things will work out great for you. Sounds like you already have the business if you are turning people away. Again good luck!!

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 17

Good for you! Sometimes you just have to take a chance. Wishing you all the best! And lots of customersicon_wink.gif

CALI_GIRL_CAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CALI_GIRL_CAKES Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 17

Good Luck. I totally understand. I work my 8 hour job, drive home for an hour, then start working in the kitchen. I wish the money fairy would smile on me so I could stay home and make cakes for a living...someday....*sigh* icon_smile.gif

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 17

i wish i was in that boat i got laid off recently and id kill for some more cake orders but most of my regulars know this would be my crazy busy season (i worked catering) so no ones calling me. good luck im sure youll be fine and remember your liveing all cakers dreams quiting there real job for cakeing

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 17

Hi...I understand how you feel. I walked away from nursing six years ago. Was an RN making good money, but I was so fed up with the stress of it. I came home and announced that was it....My husband asked me what I was going to do, and I told him "Cakes and Chocolates" Fortunately, I was on his insurance. I LOVE what I am doing and would never go back. Having blabbed all that, you can get health insurance if you need it. You're cakes are selling so that should not be a problem.
Good luck and go for it. People will give up a lot of things, but cakes aren't one of them. My cakes sales have ballooned, and if this keeps up, I will be looking for an new shop, and some help!

CountryCakery4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakery4 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:47pm
post #8 of 17

Way to go CakeGirl! You must feel a huge weight has been lifted from your shoulders. I know I always do when I make a huge decision. It sounds like you're ready to really follow your dream. Hooray!
icon_biggrin.gif

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeGrlPA

Good morning friends:

Today Ive decided that in order to keep my sanity I need to quit my day job.

I have a decent day job with health and dental insurance, thats what keeps me from leaving, but Im afraid if I dont quit my cake business will never be what is meant to be.
Ive been booked with cakes every weekend since the second week of January and Im fully booked for the next couple of months, and Ive been turned away lots of business because I dont have time to do it.

Im trying to open a shop, and things are taking too much time because I dont even have time to make phone calls until after 6:00pm and I cant meet people during the day of course.
I need an electrician and a plumber to start working on the shop but it wont happen anytime soon, I havent been able to get permits and approvals from the township because again, I dont have time.

Ive come to the conclusion, I cant do it allI thought I was super woman, but Im not.
I usually work on cakes EVERY single day of the week, Monday through Sunday and by the time Im done and the kitchen is clean, its 3:00am.
When I go to bed I cant fall sleep because I have so many things going through my head, my to-do list never ends.

I cant do this anymore, I have permanent dark circles under my eyes, I feel emotionally and physically drained and overwhelmed with the cakes, and all the stuff that needs to be done in the shop.

I know the economy is bad right now, but I have some money saved, and my only debt is my car payment, which is not that much anyways.

Im done, I give up

Thanks for listening.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! It is my dream that I can quit my job and focus on cakes!! I plan on doing this by August of this year!!

I think this is great and good luck!!

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:13pm
post #10 of 17

Congratulations on your new freedom and cake business.

-Debbie B.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:36am
post #11 of 17

It sounds like you are in a good position to go for it! And you certainly don't lack customers... Good luck!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:43am
post #12 of 17

The best of luck to you!

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:07am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALI_GIRL_CAKES

I wish the money fairy would smile on me so I could stay home and make cakes for a living...someday....*sigh* icon_smile.gif

I am wishing for that same money fairy! LOL!

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:30am
post #14 of 17

I just wanted to wish you the best. I am sure everything will work out great for you. How exciting!!! Congratulations.

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:48am
post #15 of 17

Wishing you the best of luck! thumbs_up.gif

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:35pm
post #16 of 17

All the best!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

FatFace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatFace Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:10pm
post #17 of 17

I totally understand CakeGrl PA. I am starting to receive more orders now and the thought of quitting my job has crossed my mind several times. I have to be patient and work out some details but if I keep growing at this rate I will have to quit. I also have a husband and 2 kids so that in itself can be a bit much for me at times. Meanwhile I'll just pray and ask God for guidance on this one. I wish you the best!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%