Buttercream Frosting/meringue Powder

Decorating By GRAM2 Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 7:12pm by hollylikescake

GRAM2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GRAM2 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 6

can any one tell me how meringue powder effects buttercream icing?
thanks for any info
Gram icon_smile.gif

5 replies
Walls1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walls1971 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 6

Are you referring to using meringue powder in an IMBC? I've done it and I've noticed that using ONLY the powder gives the final product a slightly - I don't want to say 'grainy' - but maybe powdery feeling? to the frosting. I never had anyone else comment on the texture, so it might have just been me. If I'm short on egg whites, I will use half whites and half meringue powder and that works fine. I don't detect any feeling difference that way. Hope that helps!

MiaMia35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiaMia35 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 6

I think it makes the icing airy and lighter. icon_wink.gif

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 6

Honestly, I used it for a long time in my BC and ran out one day and left it out, I couldn't tell any difference.

So now, I don't use it. Just one less ingredient to buy.

Someone else may have a different experience. HTH!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 6

Meringue powder is dried egg white, sugar, cornstarch and a bunch of unpronounceable stuff.
It is suppose to make you icing crust ....... HOWEVER, it's the amount of fat to sugar that really causes crusting so the meringue is not needed.
I agree w/Amy729 icon_smile.gif

hollylikescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollylikescake Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 6

I thought it was suppose to keep your icing from seperating? I'm not sure where I got that idea, but that is what I thought. I live just north of Galveston, TX. Very very humid. In the spring when it was just the right temp that no a.c. is needed I noticed my buttercream would seperate, so I started using it although I hadn't before. I'm not having that problem anymore, but it is also hot enough that now the a.c. is always on. Please anyone who knows tell me if this is wrong. If I don't really need it then I will stop spending money on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%