Ever Tried Buttermilk In Place Of Sc In The Chocolate Wasc..

Business By cocobean Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 6:50pm by cocobean

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 6

Wondering if anyone has ever substituted buttermilk in place of the sour cream and melted butter in place of the oil in the wasc chocolate version or even the vanilla version for that matter? Just wondering if you liked the results. I've been wanting to try but would like to hear if anyone has made these substitutions and what the results were. Thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 6

I've used buttermilk in place of the water in other cake mixes, so if I was going to sub it in it would be in the place of the water and not the sour cream myself. I've had good results with it in place of the water. I am sure there is a slight change of flavor, but I haven't had one with and one with out to taste test at the same time.

cocobean Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:07am
post #3 of 6

...thanks Texas for your imput. Anyone else? icon_smile.gif

Eme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eme Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:20am
post #4 of 6

Cocobean, I use both buttermilk and sc in my chocolate WASC. I also use 1 stick melted butter in place of any oil. For a single box recipe I use 1 cup buttermilk, 8 oz. sc and 1 cube melted butter. I actually use melted butter in all my WASC recipes. I also make a white velvet cake that I use buttermilk in.

HTH

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:26am
post #5 of 6

Buttermilk is a replacement for sourcream.. so it will work well.

Whenever a recipe calls for buttermilk, i usually add in bit of sour cream to add some fat because full-fat buttercream is hard to find.

I do prefer sour cream opposed to buttermilk in the Double Chocolate Layer cake though..

cocobean Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 6:50pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks alexandrabill, I have found that full fat buttermilk is impossible to find. I found a recipe to make full fat buttermilk on the internet. It called for 3 cups whole milk and 1 cup buttermilk ( of course the 1 cup buttermilk is from the grocery store and is the cultured lowfat variety). It says to mix them together like in a clean quart jar and leave them on the counter for 12-24 hours. I did that (24 hours). Wow, what great full fat buttermilk it made! I think I'm going to HAVE to try the chocolate wasc cake with that substitution plus maybe a little butter.

I really like the sour cream to but just wondering if using the full fat buttermilk might make a smaller crumb. I've recently read that using superfine sugar in place of regular might help with a smaller crumb also. The same source also has you add 1 T. potato starch in place of 1 T. flour, for the same reason. I guess I have some experimenting to do.

Thanks again for your imput!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%