Have A Wedding Cake Idea In Mind, Your Opinions?

Decorating By Sabz Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 8:02am by Sabz

Sabz Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:08am
post #1 of 23

I've been asked to do a fountain wedding cake and the theme is red and gold. We initially came up with the default design i.e; 3 tier cake with fountain underneath, 2 cakes on either side with stairs leading up to the main cake.
But then I came up with this design to give it a cascading look. 2 12" cakes at the front, medium red rose sprays on both. 2 10" cakes behind them slightly higher height with red and gold gem fountain toppers. And an 8" cake at the heighest level with a large red rose spray. All of them have gold dragees on them. And the stands are filled with fresh red rose petals and gold cloth.
Does that sound too much? Anything I can change?
oh and reckon these would be enough to feed 350 guests, all cakes included?
p.s. don't mind my amateur drawing, hope its enough to get an idea!
LL

22 replies
Sabz Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:24am
post #2 of 23

I've just had a think about it, obviously its doesnt look like its enough to feed 350 people. How could I add more sizes to make up the numbers?

brincess_b Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:08am
post #3 of 23

by wiltons reckoning, thats only 190 servings. http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm
to keep the design the same, you could make kitchen cakes to sit through back. or add an extra layer or two to the design, like two 14 inch ones.
i dont really get the fountain thing, but as far as fountain cakes go, yours sounds pretty, nice colours, plenty of flowers too.
xx

grama_j Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:01am
post #4 of 23

So, you aren't going to put ANY on top of the fountain?

Sabz Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:11am
post #5 of 23

brincess_b, thanks for that link.
grama_j, does there HAVE to be one on top? I'm a newbie as you can tell, so save me if I'm making a grave mistake!

grama_j Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:22am
post #6 of 23

Oh, no, Hon, I was just thinking about extra servings..... the staggared setup you are going to use is SOOO pretty, especially if you put the battery operated lights in witht the Rose petals, BUT you can only put a single layer on each of them...... You just wont have enough servings....... if you could get a couple of "cheapie" cake stands for the two side cakes, and then use the ones you were planning on, it would give you more servings...... take a look at the set up I did for my Granddaughter...... it might give you an idea ........
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=251573

Sabz Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:56am
post #7 of 23

oh phew, almost had a panic attack there! Yes the servings becomes a problem. As brincess says, I'll suggest kitchen cakes to make up for it. Tried adding a few more to the design, but couldn't get the numbers to work. And I couldn't add 14" coz I dont use that size. Those lights sound like a good idea, but I don't want to over-do it.
Your cake is gorgeous by the way! I love the colours and the cake stand!

grama_j Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:10pm
post #8 of 23

Just make sure the "kitchen" cakes are EXACTLY the same quality as those on the table...... you do not want any guests slighted..... such as, if you are doing a white cake with raspberry filling, then you want a kitchen cake to match it......( some people serve a "kitchen" cake as a 2 inch layer cake ) Oh, you know what I mean.....and make sure that you check with the caterer and venue,and tell them you need kitchen space for the cakes...... I'm trying to think of anything you might run into...

Sabz Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:20pm
post #9 of 23

You mean the kitchen cake is 2" high torted, or 4" high with 2 " layers..? The quality wouldn't be a problem, since they just want a simple buttercream/jam cake. And with this design, these serving cakes would look pretty plain jane..but oh well!

grama_j Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:25pm
post #10 of 23

Just so it matches what ever you are serving on the cake table.....

brincess_b Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:09pm
post #11 of 23

the thing with kitchedn cakes is that they should be indistinguishable from the main cake. same height, same layers, same filling, same colours - not the exact same decor, but close enough so that slice vs slice, it could be from the same cake.
some people use sheet cakes to make up numbers, which by their nature, have less filling and fewer layers - and then the guest that pays attention knows someone has been cutting corners!
xx

jlynnw Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:18pm
post #12 of 23

Why not do stacked cakes like a 12 with a 10, the 10 and a 8 and 8 with a 6. I did not check the numbers but something like that might work. You could also place a cake on the table to encircle the fountain. I also urge you to start using a 14. They are great! My fav set up is a 14-10-6 or 12-9-6. Good luck and keep us posted!

Sabz Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:18pm
post #13 of 23

Ah, that would be slightly difficult. Because my round cake pans are 2" deep. And my sheet cake pan is 11/2" deep.

Sabz Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:08pm
post #14 of 23

never mind...they didn't go for this design! icon_cry.gif I was soo hoping they would, because it would be so much easier without having to do any cake construction! thumbsdown.gif
I'll probably post again to get your lots help over their design, but for now I'm gonna grab some paracetamol!

mombabytiger Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:29am
post #15 of 23

I would just like to say that your amateur drawings look better than some cakes I've seen!

cylstrial Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:50am
post #16 of 23

Let us know what happens. I thought it was a very pretty design!

Sabz Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 12:55pm
post #17 of 23

Thanks for the compliment on the drawing! Now here's to hoping I can execute it just as nicely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

Why not do stacked cakes like a 12 with a 10, the 10 and a 8 and 8 with a 6. I did not check the numbers but something like that might work. You could also place a cake on the table to encircle the fountain. I also urge you to start using a 14. They are great! My fav set up is a 14-10-6 or 12-9-6. Good luck and keep us posted!

jlynnw, I don't know how I managed to miss your post! icon_redface.gif Your idea sounds really good, wish the bride didnt like everything 'Grand' ! I'll save your idea for future use.
This is what she wants:
LL

kakeladi Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 6:03pm
post #18 of 23

Aaahhhh that's too bad they didn't go for your design. I think it is so much bettericon_smile.gif

I have maybe a 1/2 dz cakes over fountains in my pix. Maybe they will help you think up something.

Sabz Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:54pm
post #19 of 23

Thanks for that kakeladi. Yes, I've already browsed through your photos and favourited a few. Nearer to the time, I hope you wouldn't mind if I have questions!

jammjenks Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:07pm
post #20 of 23

It may be too late, but why not throw this one out to her. It is elegant and very large. It served 284 (I think), but that was with the satelites being 8". You could make them larger. Just a thought.
LL

Sabz Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:11pm
post #21 of 23

icon_eek.gif whoa! That is gorgeous!!! It looks like something I couldn't do!

jammjenks Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:29pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabz

icon_eek.gif whoa! That is gorgeous!!! It looks like something I couldn't do!

Sure you could. The flowers and greenery are all fake. The cakes themselves are just very simply decorated with a zig-zag swag and shell border at the bottom. It took me forever to bake this monster, but no time to decorate it.

Sabz Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 8:02am
post #23 of 23

I'm back with this thread! The bride is still sticking to her layout. Its due 2 weeks from now, and I was hoping to get a question answered. The 3 tier above the fountain has sugar rose topper on the smallest cake. Does it look too plain that way and should I be putting some more sugar roses on the bottom and middle tier, or should I leave it as is in the diagram..?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

TIA

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%