Refrigeration Of Fondant & Lemon Curd

Decorating By Kay_NL Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 2:26pm by PinkZiab

Kay_NL Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:15am
post #1 of 7

I am making a cake that I would like to fill with lemon curd but will also be covered in fondant... Have others here done this? I am concerned that lemon curd is supposed to be refrigerated or the eggs in it will go bad. But them I am concerned that refrigerating the cake will cause it to develop condensation and spots!

help please??

6 replies
peg818 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:51am
post #2 of 7

Well you have a choice take a chance that the fondant will end up with spots (i have refrigerated before with no problems just don't touch it before it dries) or end up having your filling go bad and making several people sick.

Personally i would take a chance with spots then the chance that you will make others sick.

The other thing you can do is find a different lemon filling one that doesn't have the eggs.

Rylan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:03am
post #3 of 7

I agree with ^^^^ TOTALLY

khkakes Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:40am
post #4 of 7

When I fill with lemon curd I purchase it already made. I don't refrigerate and have never had a problem. Just remember that the eggs are cooked. Think about all of those lemon bars and lemon tarts that don't get refrigerated.

That said I wouldn't use lemon curd if the cake was going to be anywhere in the heat - like outside in 80+ degreee heat.

Kay_NL Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:53am
post #5 of 7

Maybe I will just stick with lemon butter cream, to be safe. I was really looking forward to trying lemon curd, but I can't guarantee what will happen with the cake after it leaves my hands, and certainly don't want sick people!

drakegore Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:58am
post #6 of 7

i just refrigerated a cake covered in fondant decorations (on smbc) and it was fine. i brought it out of the fridge and let it come to room temp in a cool room.

i make my own lemon curd and refridgerate, but the purchased ones would have to be shelf safe, no? they sit in the grocery store unrefridgerated so why would they have to in a cake? i don't know for sure, but that sure seems like a logical leap icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 7

I refrigerate all of my cakes (fondant) without a problem. If it's very hot and humid I make sure I have the A/C cranking in the room when I take it out of the fridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%