Thanks To Everyone And An Apology

Decorating By mrscromer Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 12:56am by sari66

mrscromer Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:55am
post #1 of 11

Just wanted to thank everyone who took the time give me suggestions and advice about a customer that I had. I very much appreciate the support, comments and suggestions, but I noticed the other day that the thread that I started was pulled. I'm kind of glad it did, it was getting way out of hand and I was scared to reply to it.

Anyways, I know that some of you wanted to know what I did. Well, here it goes. I mailed her a check for 10% of the total cost of the cake, thinking that this would be fair enough to her. Well, NOT!!!! She tried to put words in my mouth and twist the whole thing around. Not only that, but REALLY threatened me by saying that she would take me to court saying that not only will she get the full refund but I will have to pay court costs too. And that she was going to post a letter to the editor of the newspaper in this town and let the entire community know how they were treated. I wasn't too worried about the editor thing, seeing that the Editor of the paper is one of my customers and they were more than please with their cake. But to take me to court is a whole different story. I REALLY enjoy doing this out of my home and would GREATLY be upset and disppointed to see that I would be shut down. I am sending her the rest of the money she requested which was the total of $250.00 and I hope and pray that this is the end of her.

I have spoken to the local business lady in my town that ran the bakery her and knows this woman very well. She told me that she(the customer) was a VERY ugly person and treats people unfairly. The local baker said that she would hate to see me get shut down too, seeing what I do is very special and unique for this town and just to pay her the $250.00 and hopefully this will end it. I do hope she is right.

I know in my heart I was right and did everything I could possibly do and was being more than fair, but it hurts to know there are people like this who take advantage of others. I never intended to do no wrong to this person and was very sorry for the misspelling of the name, but to be so UGLY about it, there was no need for it.

Again, I would like to thank you all for the support and apologize to you all that this had gotten way out of hand in the original thread.

10 replies
cakes22 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:57am
post #2 of 11

You know, people like this ALWAYS get their come-uppins in one form or another.
You did what was best for you and your business and that you should be proud of. Sometimes it worth just forking over the $$ to get people like that out of your life!!!! icon_razz.gif So, if in future, she wants anything from you , I think your going to be extremely busy on that particular day!!

Good luck in you future baking!!!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

GeminiRJ Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 11

I didn't see the original thread, so I'm not up-to-speed on the whole incident. But just by reading what you wrote here, I had to respond and tell you how sorry I feel for you! She sounds like a horrible person that it was your misfortune to come across. I wonder what makes a person like her tick....

sadsmile Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:09pm
post #4 of 11

Aww Can't beleive the other post is gone. Can you just refund her minus the ingredients since they ate it and it was fine? I bet that woman just loves to bash through people to get her way. So sorry for you having to go through that and your cake was great. I was one of the ones who said the name thing would be an issue for me, but everyone makes mistakes. We are not cake-bots. Where is the hug emoticon when you need one!

((((HUGGGGS!!!))))

Kay_NL Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:10pm
post #5 of 11

I hope that it keeps her quiet and you can move on and continue making your awesome cakes!

grama_j Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:17pm
post #6 of 11

Well, be prepared........ if she is THAT nasty, and you are an illegal kitchen, she will probably turn you in anyway..... I hope not, but I souldn't put it past her........

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:24pm
post #7 of 11

I do remember reading the other thread, but I must have stopped before it got to the out-of-hand part. It's a shame that you had to give in to a bully but some people are just like that. If she hadn't found something obvious like the misspelling to complain about, she probably would have complained about the taste or something like that, so she could get a refund.

Taking you to court is her standard threat, you can just tell, not one directed just at you. A home baker is much more threatened by the health department than by a possible trip to small claims court.

I think when you give her the refund, you should ask her to sign a paper saying that all business between the two of you has been resolved, or something to that effect, so that she can't pretend she never got the refund, or do something else horrible.

solascakes Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:27pm
post #8 of 11

mrscromer I really feel for you,I am sooo angry that you had to refund all the money,but you did what was best.

Reimagining_Confections Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:38pm
post #9 of 11

I remember the other thread and don't know why is was pulled, maybe just to end it. Basically towards the end of the thread ALOT of fellow CC'ers felt that you didn't complete 50% of the cake and therefore, the client deserved the 50% refund.

You didn't do the topper the client requested(you substituted a hut) and you misspelled the client's sons name for his birthday cake. The cake was about $500. You didn't ask the client for the substitute topper just felt your judgement was better than what the client asked for(jeep topper with doctor kit?). I feel for you, perhaps you took on more than you could handle(been there, done that).

Please don't post here to start another thread for those who havn't read your first and claim that this client was just bad mouthing you for no reason. I feel she was harsh in the way she presented it, BUT that is ALOT of money for a birthday cake and the topper was changed without her permission, the name was misspelled, and I remember the bottom layer while nice- really didn't gel with the rest of the cake (too white while the other two tiers had full color). I would have asked for a 50% refund too and I am a caker.

loriana Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:38pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiesbymomme

I remember the other thread and don't know why is was pulled, maybe just to end it. Basically towards the end of the thread ALOT of fellow CC'ers felt that you didn't complete 50% of the cake and therefore, the client deserved the 50% refund.

You didn't do the topper the client requested(you substituted a hut) and you misspelled the client's sons name for his birthday cake. The cake was about $500. You didn't ask the client for the substitute topper just felt your judgement was better than what the client asked for(jeep topper with doctor kit?). I feel for you, perhaps you took on more than you could handle(been there, done that).

Please don't post here to start another thread for those who havn't read your first and claim that this client was just bad mouthing you for no reason. I feel she was harsh in the way she presented it, BUT that is ALOT of money for a birthday cake and the topper was changed without her permission, the name was misspelled, and I remember the bottom layer while nice- really didn't gel with the rest of the cake (too white while the other two tiers had full color). I would have asked for a 50% refund too and I am a caker.

Cookiesbymomme: Please, don't start this whole thing up again. That's what killed the old thread!

For those of you who didn't read the old thread, just know that
1) MrsCromer made a beautiful cake
2) She had great intentions to make it special
3) The customer wasn't pleased with some of the details
4) The thread got way out of hand in a nasty way
5) I'm sure we are ALL glad if your $250 refund will put the matter to rest and get this customer taken care of.

I am sure you learned a bit about getting detail changes in writing and so forth, so:

ALL's WELL THAT ENDS WELL!!

PS-Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. I followed the old post and was very interested in the outcome. It was very kind of you to apologize although not necessary IMO. We are here to support and help each other grow and as far as CC is concerned, you did nothing wrong. Thanks for sharing this story and I wish you all the best on future cakes. You are very talented!

sari66 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:56am
post #11 of 11

I'm sorry this woman treated you so badly over this as the cake you made was beautiful. I hope that this customer never comes near you again.
Good luck and keep caking icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%