Plain But Tasty Wedding? Need Ideas

Baking By yamber82 Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 4:45am by yamber82

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:02am
post #1 of 7

customer wants her weding cake to be plain white and she had no idea about filling but she doesn't want lemon or fruit or anything like that but i don't want to do just plaino bc in a plaino white cake that sounds boring. i mentioned putting some bailey's in the bc for filling and she was down with that, but i need some help here. it's gonna be covered in fondant so i can't refrigerate it. what recipes do you guys normally use for white wedding cakes? i have to admit i'm a doctored box mix lady icon_smile.gif lol. i have actually tried several wedding cake recipes i have found online and none of them were really that great. i actually think the classic white pillsbury mix is exztremely good,but if she just wants plain plain than maybe i should try a more flavorfull cake recipe.

i have heard mention of some of the bag fillings? forgot what they were called but i think i read that they are fine not being in the fridge. maybe i should go that route. the wedding is july 3rd so if i order something it would have to be asap

6 replies
pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:11am
post #2 of 7

yes, all the sleeve fillings are non perishable..aka don't need refridgeration. I use wasc cake as a starting point for all of my cakes. I know what you mean about plain jane, though..boring! Depending where you are, fondantsource dot com has great prices and shipping prices, and they deliver so fast. i am in the 2 day delivery zone (in SC). Enter cakecentral in the coupon/code section and get 10% off your order price.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:39am
post #3 of 7

If she wants plain plain then why not just give it to her? It sounds like you are kind of taking over her cake to be honest.

Just use the plain buttercream and enjoy the larger profit margin.

icon_lol.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 11:00am
post #4 of 7

I would also just do white cake with plain buttercream. That is the most requested combination I get...almost like they've anticipated getting married in order to get just that cake combination is how some sound when they order it too. I had one ask if I could split the layers further in order to get MORE plain icing in there (they already get at least 3 layers of icing in between).
I would suggest making the moistest, bestest, most flavorful (can be flavorful and still be vanilla) cake with the smoothest, creamiest, most flavorful (again, can be flavorful and still be just vanilla) icing.

yamber82 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 3:54am
post #5 of 7

ok i just saw you guys' replies. thanks for the pointers. the only reason i don't want to do plain plain is for the sake of my reputation. i guess that is selfish though icon_sad.gif but again, she didn't request that per say she just didn't know what else to choose. she did eventually pick bav creme. and about the bag fillings, her cake is going to be covered in fondant so i was wondering if the filled cake needed to be refrigerated?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:03am
post #6 of 7

Having a plain cake isn't going to ruin your reputation.

I always refrigerate my cakes with no problem. I use Satin Ice (which I hate).

Good luck.

yamber82 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 4:45am
post #7 of 7

really!!! i am sooo afraid it's gonna screw up the cake. i use homemade mmf, but the recipe is pretty close to satin ice i think as far as texture and consistency. how early do you take them out? say if it's a afternoon wedding and i take out the cakes in the morning, will the fondant soften up by the wedding so it's not a hard rock from the fridge?

so i have heard several people say that the sleeve fillings can be used and then the filled cake doesn't have to go in the fridge but it sys to refridgerate after opening so i'm confused.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%