Complaining About Fondant Bashers...

Decorating By aligotmatt Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 10:37pm by tarheelgirl

aligotmatt Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:47am
post #1 of 25

Alright, this may be a silly complaint, but I'm really sick, have way too much work, and want nothing more to complain and whine.

So here goes, in my town currently, there are 2 decorators who on their website make a big to do about how they don't use fondant. One is overly unprofessional and actually uses a curse word in discussing their utter distaste, but then goes on to say something to the effect of, it takes no talent to use fondant, and I'm super because I only use buttercream.

Then another one who brags on and on about their mad skills, and goes on about how bad tasting fondant is and that they want to serve GOOD products to their customers, that is why they don't serve fondant.

I've known about these 2 for a while, and honestly, they are not my competition at all, so it's just not bothersome, ya know?

But then yesterday I was in the doctors office (when i should have been baking) and picked up this wedding issue of a local mag. Of course, they are interviewing a local cake company (not one of the above ones) and they have a section on how they chose to not use fondant for their business because it tastes so bad and people have to peel the cakes before they serve it and they didn't want to put out cakes that have to be peeled!!!

All of this in mind, dude, I'm kinda peeved. I'm having a new site made, and I am so not into bashing people, but I kind of want to combat the smut that's being put out. I spend a lot of money on my fondant, it tastes good, I roll it thin and put it on some tasty buttercream, and over time I've had a lot of people tell me that they thought they hated fondant until they tasted mine. No flippin' cake peeling!

Any brilliance out there that would have nice words about fondant that doesn't sound like, "those other people clearly don't know what they're talking about" but kind of does at the same time...

I really just wanted to vent and complain overall though, so thanks if you made it icon_smile.gif

24 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:16am
post #2 of 25

That's because they don't know how to use it, otherwise they'd be all over it.

Shake it off. Show your mad skills with fondant, and let the public be your judge and jury.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:27am
post #3 of 25

I think fondant work takes as much skill as butter cream does. I won't say one is better than the other cause I think both do take talent and skill to make beautiful cakes.

I think that 90% of the time when someone says they don't like fondant it is not a taste issue but a texture issue. I know my family does not like fondant covered cakes, because they don't like the chewiness of fondant. So on cakes for just us, I don't really bother with it.

I also think that a lot of people have never actually tried fondant and just go from what they hear or read. I get that in my classes all the time, "Oh I heard fondant tastes bad." So they already have a preconceived notion it is nasty.

If you really want to get more people to try fondant you can offer a tasting of it. If you have a store front or a place where they can stop by to try some. Or maybe when someone orders a cake from you offer them a one time discount on the fondant price or bag up a small sample of fondant for them to try.

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:34am
post #4 of 25

I always want to laugh at people who go on and on about how they hate the taste of fondant. It's obvious they haven't tasted anything but Wilton. It's kind of like eating a snickers bar and then deciding that you hate all candy bars because that one had caramel...

I've actually had people sit there and tell me they hate fondant. I take a piece of the fondant I'm working with and give it to them to taste...and they say, "Oh, that's fondant? I didn't know it tasted like that. That doesn't taste bad."

Just remember this about the fondant-bashers....Those who can, do. Those who can't, bitch about the taste.

I do think that buttercream takes more skill than fondant...but that's just because I've come further in a year and a half of using fondant than I did in 9 years of practicing with buttercream.

For your website, how about: "Our fondant is the highest-quality, best-tasting fondant available. If you've been turned off by the cheap, tasteless fondant that some bakeries use, feel free to ask for a sample of our fondant to see how we combine the gorgeous look of fondant with superior taste and quality."

bakermommy4 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:36am
post #5 of 25

I'm with TexasSugar...most people are used to their icing being creamy and smooth, not a chewy texture. I didn't like the taste of fondant before I tried mmf, it's absolutely delicious and chocolate mmf is even better.

I also agree that you could have a tasting and "convert" people over to fondant because depending on what brand you use, it is good.

As far as skill goes...I haven't perfected either yet but it's been a harder task for me to get the hang of fondant.

Shannie13 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:38am
post #6 of 25

I think it is to each's own, I personally don't like alot of fondant but it is mainly a texture issue with me. It is the same with marzipan, I like the nutty taste to it, but don't like the feeling it leaves in my mouth.

I think if you put something on your website that says that fondant gives the cake an air of elegance and tastes good too. Or what the pp says, offer one of the samples with fondant on them.

I find that a company that offers options does alot better in the long run!

indydebi Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:38am
post #7 of 25

How about a page on your website of "Cakey MythBusters", then list 5 or 10 cake myths and why it's a myth. Properly written, you could point out and blast what's being said by the others without coming right out and blasting what's being said by the others. Seriously, it would be a great educational thing to have out there. (Hmmmm ...... I gotta work on that ... it's a pretty good idea! Gosh, sometimes I just amaze myself! icon_lol.gif )

playingwithsugar Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:38am
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

For your website, how about: "Our fondant is the highest-quality, best-tasting fondant available. If you've been turned off by the cheap, tasteless fondant that some bakeries use, feel free to ask for a sample of our fondant to see how we combine the gorgeous look of fondant with superior taste and quality."

Perfect words. You should get a job writing that stuff.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:41am
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Perfect words. You should get a job writing that stuff.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I agree ... this is awesome!

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:45am
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannie13

It is the same with marzipan, I like the nutty taste to it, but don't like the feeling it leaves in my mouth.

Next time you make it, try putting in a little rum icon_biggrin.gif It takes care of that sawdust mouth feeling.

Rylan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:47am
post #11 of 25

Texas_rose said it perfectly

ailika Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:52am
post #12 of 25

I agree with Indydebi about the Cakey MythBusters!

__Jamie__ Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:57am
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

That's because they don't know how to use it, otherwise they'd be all over it.

Shake it off. Show your mad skills with fondant, and let the public be your judge and jury.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Dang skippy!

fondantgrl Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:28am
post #14 of 25

It's because they are mediocre cake makers.. I would not even call them designers. If they do such a great job with their "crap" then why are they not famous ? how come we do not see them in cake challenges on Food Network ? They lack in skill. It's good to have options and choices, but to put down fondant just because it is not their choice is very uncivilized, retarded and ignorant. Just give these wench turds the one finger salute next time !! icon_razz.gif

OfficerMorgan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:38pm
post #15 of 25

The argument of fondant/buttercream is as controversial as scratch/box or licensed/home. You just gotta do your thing and shut out the haters.

aswartzw Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:53pm
post #16 of 25

Maybe do a special section on your website detailing fondant: There are good tasting fondants and bad tasting fondants. Good chocolate fondant tastes like Tootsie Rolls and has the same texture. Just imagine having a chocolate cake wrapped in Tootsie Rolls. Some people love fondant and others are diswayed due to having a bad tasting experience or just don't like the chewy texture of it.

Include details that you can do with fondant that you can't with buttercream: Make a 3D cake; have smooth, detailed finishes to a carved cake, make figurines that resemble the client

But point out that, fondant can also be used to enhance BC if the client chooses to have a BC iced cake but include fondant decorations like pretty pearls, etc.

Also, try writing the editor of the magazine to include more pros of fondant but also including detailed reasons that some people prefer not to choose fondant (just make sure to cover the taste is usually due to people not being able to taste a "good" fondant.

loriana Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:04pm
post #17 of 25

I know someone already said this, but I really like the idea of a tasting. What about doing an open-house with free cake samples.

You could ask a few out-for-the-summer highschoolers to help put on aprons and carry some aluminum trays of cake samples to local businesses. If you buy some cupcake papers and make some yummy sheet-cakes with a thin layer of visible fondant (like light green or yellow) and a small royal icing drop flower on each one, you can cut little 1 1/2" squares on papers and have these highschoolers spend a Saturday morning visiting:

-Hair salons (people waiting in lobbies)
-Eyeglass stores (people waiting in lobbies)
-Jewelry Shops (people looking for engagement and wedding rings)
-Bridal salons (obvious)
-Tailor shops (obvious)
-even other places where people are waiting
-bookstores and coffee shops
-local resturants (I've heard of some that are happy to let you hand out cake samples to people who are finishing their meals)

Just have them walk in a few samples, ask if they have permission from the management to hand out samples. I know people have done this with success before.

If they get permission, tell them to put on a big smile, an apron, have a big stack of business cards, a tray full of pretty fondanted squares, and a little info about you and what they are tasting. Word of mouth will change once people taste how good tasty fondant is!

Shannie13 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:52pm
post #18 of 25

Texas_Rose,
Thanks so much for that tidbit, I am going to have to try it and see if it changes my opinion.
Shannie

Franluvsfrosting Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:08pm
post #19 of 25

I personally don't care for the texture of fondant but that doesn't mean I won't work with the stuff. I did a wedding cake that was buttercream with fondant accents. I had two lines for it, one line just took their cake, the other line was people (lots of kids!) asking for more fondant pieces. In fact, they were practically mugging the people who'd just gotten their cake in the hopes they'd get their fondant pieces, lol!

I've done a little bit with fondant and have mostly done buttercream; they're both work, different work but work nonetheless.

I didn't help at all did I?! icon_smile.gif

Cheyanne25 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:29pm
post #20 of 25

I think it's just the way of the market. When fondant was new and not as common people were singing its praises for the satin smooth finish it gave. Now it's getting more and more common and bakeries are trying to figure out a way to stand out; so instead of offering the amazing new fondant product they are denouncing the oh too common fondant product.

Most customer's prefer to have a choice, especially (as a pp has mentioned) if they are looking for 3D or carved cakes (ain't gonna get that with buttercream). If someone really doesn't like fondant, due to texture or taste they can always just tell you that. But if they are going to one of the other bakeries and they do like fondant (for looks or taste)... well that bakery is going to be losing a customer because they arn't offering the same choices.

sadsmile Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:40pm
post #21 of 25

It could be worse. My own mother is advising people not to eat fondant because she doesn't like it. At my parties no less. When I siad mom I need to correct you about something you said at the party about not eating the fondant-she blew up on me. It wasn't pretty. But I am tired of it too! She screws up her face and wrinkles up her nose and says most people don't eat that it's just for decoration. I'm like helloo- I put white chocolate in that! You can infact eat my fondant and my kids were right there arguing the point.

Caths_Cakes Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:45pm
post #22 of 25

i just dont get the whole BIG deal with fondant . . i mean is fondant in america and everywhere else, So different to the ready to roll icing as its called here in england? i mean ive NEVER had a customer 'peel' there cake! over here, its the 'ready2rollicing' that people want on the cakes! i personally think its the best bit, its not chewy, and its not hard, its firm, but melts in the mouth, it looks fantastic and theres so much you can do with it!!!

i certainly aint knocking bc cakes, ive seen some here and they are bloody marvellous, but i cant work it for the life of me, and dont dare give me a piping bag lol! but i certianly dont slander it! #it annoys me time and time again when i read how people 'peel' their cake!!! (rant over lol )

and as to the op, i would definately go with what indydebi said and other post about your high quality fondant and put that on your site.

__Jamie__ Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:18pm
post #23 of 25

OMG Sad...seriously, my mom did the saaaaame thing with visiting guests awhile back. Something to the effect of "but fondant is gross anyways"....AHEM! MOM! Yes, some fondant is icky, MINE however is not! Harumph!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

adven68 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:24pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caths_Cakes

i just dont get the whole BIG deal with fondant . . i mean is fondant in america and everywhere else, So different to the ready to roll icing as its called here in england? i mean ive NEVER had a customer 'peel' there cake! over here, its the 'ready2rollicing' that people want on the cakes! i personally think its the best bit, its not chewy, and its not hard, its firm, but melts in the mouth, it looks fantastic and theres so much you can do with it!!!

i certainly aint knocking bc cakes, ive seen some here and they are bloody marvellous, but i cant work it for the life of me, and dont dare give me a piping bag lol! but i certianly dont slander it! #it annoys me time and time again when i read how people 'peel' their cake!!! (rant over lol )

and as to the op, i would definately go with what indydebi said and other post about your high quality fondant and put that on your site.

I wonder if there is a difference, besides what each country calls it?

but, I totally agree with what you said. I, obviously, use fondant, but I don't go around Bashing buttercream. Holy cow...its a cake for crying out loud! aren't there more important things you can focus on?

tarheelgirl Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 10:37pm
post #25 of 25

I know exactly the ones you are speaking of! I'm pretty sure its one that we have discussed before. I think these particular bakers don't know how to use it. They are lazy so they are bashing it. They don't take the time nor effort to use it so they just make it out to be some horrible thing! Most people I meet have had fondant but they did not like the taste of it. Whenever I do tastings I always include at least a fondant covered something just so they can taste it. I actually just booked a wedding with a non-fondant lover. Or at least she THOUGHT she hated it. I flavor mine to the hilt and it does taste good.

Your cakes are the bomb! Definitely put something on your site about how great your fondant taste..

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%