Possible Uneven Baking Temperature?

Decorating By sweet1122 Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 3:23am by aliciag829

sweet1122 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:31am
post #1 of 3

The last 3 cakes i have baked have all come out the same. One of the layers is done and the other is not. I'm starting to wonder if it could be possible for one side of my oven to be a different temperature than the other side. What's strange is that when I test the cake my tester comes out clean, but when I level it off I see in the center it wasn't quite done.

These are 6 inches and 8 inches and I'm super frustrated. I can't rebake again. They're for a party at work and I just hope no one notices! I put the 6 inch back in the pan and back in the oven since I could tell as soon as I flipped it out.

Any ideas on what could be causing one layer to be different than the other and is there anything more reliable than a cake tester or toothpick? I've baked many cakes and this is the first time this is happening. I mean, a 6 inch round! Seriously! icon_cry.gif

2 replies
Rylan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:14am
post #2 of 3

Try getting an oven thermometer. Maybe that would help.

aliciag829 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:23am
post #3 of 3

When you do test with the oven thermometer, test both sides of your oven. Mine has this problem and what I have to do when baking more than one cake is switch the pans once they are somewhat set. That way they bake more evenly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%