How Do You Make That Quilt Effect On A Stacked Cake?

Decorating By cdent Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 4:36pm by lchris

cdent Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:18am
post #1 of 10

I'm sorry if I am sounding lame, but I am really perplexed on the best way to make a quilted effect on a stacked cake. Do I use an imprint? If so, how? Or do I use a specific tool? I have a wedding cake coming up in a month and I need to start practicing now...thanks for your answers in advance!

9 replies
cylstrial Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:22am
post #2 of 10

There is a little plastic sheet that you can buy to imprint into the fondant. But then you have to take a little cutter and trace over it. (The one with the decorative stitching pattern).

And then there are always little diamonds (3 attached together vertically) that you can push into the fondant, row by row.

Hope this helps!

sugarcheryl Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:23am
post #3 of 10

You can use the impression mat and go over the lines with a quilt tracer or you can do it with a ruler and create the lines with a quilt tracer.

maimai16 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:31am
post #4 of 10

i'm thinking of improvising... i'll use a triangle ruler, not sure if thats what they call it then mark the fondant on cake with the veining tool... though i have'nt tried it yet but i'm sure i've read it here on cc somewhere... impression mats are too expensive for me icon_sad.gif

cindy1176 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 10

The impression mat that I just bought was only about 6 dollars. It is not a large mat like wilton sells. It is about 8 inches long and 4 inches high. I can't wait to use it! I got it at a bakery that also sells decorating supplies.

__Jamie__ Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 10

Jennifer Dontz' three diamond cutter is the bomb! Very sturdy little instrument and makes perfect impressions. Then go over it with a wheel to make each little diamond poof out.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 10

I have wanted to try this for so long. Last month I did attempt it on a cake I was making but when I pressed the cutters into the fondant it cut through to far. I also could not get it to come out even in the back. I was either using to large of a cutter or to small so then never matched up. I gave up. I really do want to try it though.

Peridot Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:29pm
post #8 of 10

You can also get diamond cutters in different sizes and shaped on Global Sugar.

__Jamie__ Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:31pm
post #9 of 10

You don't press real hard, jus enough to make an impression. You further define the impression with a cutting wheel....and after awhile, you can feel when you need to back off the pressure. It's difficult to match in the back. I'm sure it can be done, but I generally decide which part of the cake is going to be the "back".

lchris Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:36pm
post #10 of 10

I just did my first with the impression mat. Super easy!

And there's really no way to match, so that's your that from Sugarshacks buttercream video, so don't take my word for it! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%