Help!!! Is It Ruined?

Baking By toodlesjupiter Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 12:21am by Amifsud

toodlesjupiter Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:09am
post #1 of 19

Hey everyone!
I had some frozen NFSC dough that I set out on the counter this morning to thaw.... when I left it was nice and cool and rainy. Well it's still rainy, but now it's like 80 degrees.... in my house as well, since I didn't think I'd need the AC on today. The dough has been sitting out since around 8:30 this morning and I just got home and stuck it in the fridge @ 5:00pm. Do you think I should throw it out and start over, or will baking it kill any germs? TIA!

18 replies
blondeez Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:13am
post #2 of 19

Me personally, If I have to ask myself that question. I tend to throw it out and start over again. But this is me.

peg818 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:20am
post #3 of 19

I would toss too. Its not like there is enough money and time tied up in that dough to take a chance on making anyone sick. Error on the side of caution and you won't go wrong.

spencersmom98 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:21am
post #4 of 19

I think I'd pitch it. Besides the germ issue, I'd also be concerned about it baking right!

toodlesjupiter Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:31am
post #5 of 19

Thanks. That's what I thought too. I'm just super tired, and was hoping someone would tell me I was wrong and didn't have to re-do it. I hope I still have enough of the ingredients without going BACK to the store.... I still have to bake/decorate 50 cupcakes+ chocolate chip cookies along with the sugar cookies, and make veggie trays/sliced watermelon, etc. for my sons end of the year party for his classmates/parents. None of the other mothers lift a finger, and his teacher doesn't cook/bake or anything, so it's just me. Sorry for rambling. Thanks for your help!

Amifsud Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:35am
post #6 of 19

just a suggestion, i roll my dough out (right after i make it) in sheet between 2 sheets of parchment then freeze it and vacuum pack it. then when i need to bake some cookies i take out as many sheets as i need and put it on the counter and thaw for only 5 minutes before i cut them with the cutter. i always have dough ready to go.

KoryAK Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:08am
post #7 of 19

It's cookie dough. While not an ideal situation, it is about to be cooked alll the way through. I'd use it.

toodlesjupiter Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:44pm
post #8 of 19

Thanks Anette and Kory!

Kory, I got to thinking more about that later but, unfortunately, I already threw it away. icon_sad.gif

Annette- How much is a vacuum sealer, and how long can you freeze them for? Thanks!

Amifsud Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:46pm
post #9 of 19

i think they are about $120-150. I bought mine years ago my husband fishes alot so we vacuum pack the fish for later use. If you make sure you get a good seal I have kept fish for over a year. With the cookie dough probably the longest I kept it is 2 months, but usually it is gone within 3 weeks. I don't like to freeze for too long especially if it is for an order. I use my vacuum sealer alot for all kinds of stuff. When I bulk buy meat at costco I come home and divide it into portions etc. Well just thought it would save you from throwing away dough. I used to do the same until I found out about this method and it is really handy. Good luck

toodlesjupiter Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:13pm
post #10 of 19

Thanks Annette! One more question, if you don't mind..... Is it pricey to keep buying the bags(i.e. does it save enough money in the long run to make it worth while)? Thank you again!

Pebbles13 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:44pm
post #11 of 19

toodlesjupiter: I use a Foodsaver (purchased from Costco), and it included some bags. If I use the bags for anything other than meat, chicken, or fish, I just wash the bags very thoroughly with hot soapy water and reuse them. I bought extra bags when I purchased my Foodsaver over 4 years ago and I still haven't run out.

chefjess819 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:54pm
post #12 of 19

you can get vacuum sealers at wal mart for under $100. they may not be the huge industrial things, but for sealing cookie dough, or meats even, they work perfect. plus, they have a sam's choice brand of sealer bags that work just as well as the name brand. just letting you know! icon_cool.gif

toodlesjupiter Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:05pm
post #13 of 19

Thanks Ladies!
I think I'll have to see about investing in one. You wouldn't believe how much food I throw out. icon_redface.gif I cringe every time I clean out my fridges/freezers.

Peridot Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:10pm
post #14 of 19

I love, love, love my FoodSaver and would not consider buying an off brand. Yes, the bags are expensive but what you save in the long run on being able to keep food fresh and not get freezer burn is worth it. And I also reuse bags that I don't use for meats and you can put the FoodSaver bags in the dish washer - top rack - inside out of course. I also vac seal my cheese in these bags and it keeps for months and NO MOLD!!!

I have had a FoodSaver for years and years and when I had to replace mine because it finally wore out I bought another one. Would not be without it. You can reseal potato chips bags, plastic powdered sugar bags, etc. (there is a setting where you just seal and do not suck out the air). When I have left over fondant or gumpaste I wrap it is plastic wrap and then pop it in a FoodSaver bag and it keeps perfectly. Much better than plastic bags or foil. If I need to freeze something that is soft or has juice etc. I freeze first in a container and then pop it out of the container when frozen and drop it into a FoodSaver bag and vac seal it. I also put left over buttercream in a plastic container and then stick the whole thing into a bag and seal it for storage.

I would not be without my FoodSaver and I would not buy an off brand.

toodlesjupiter Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:28pm
post #15 of 19

Thanks Peridot! Now I really want one! icon_biggrin.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:23pm
post #16 of 19

No, don't throw it out! Save it in your freezer for when you want to practice a new design. Just be sure to mark it as your practice dough. icon_smile.gif

cookiemookie Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:14pm
post #17 of 19

Have any of you seen the models with the cutter at stores?

I love mine and have had it for years. I use mine all the time to seal my cello bags. It also has a cutter feature that I don't see on models carried by many stores.

I did see a model on their website. In fact it is almost identical to the one I have only it is black instead of white.

I'm thinking of replacing mine soon before it just plain dies. I can't live without it! icon_cry.gif

Cheyanne25 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:36pm
post #18 of 19

Glad to see that you've already thrown it out.

But just for anyone else who ends up with the same question the health unit (in both the USA and Canada) have a rule that a product can't be in the danger zone (40°F (4.4°C) to 140°F (60°C)) for 4 hours or more, if it is it's got to be disposed of.

I think it's the responsibility of anyone and everyone who works with food and supplies it to others (for profit or not) to follow rules like this. They have been developed for a reason. And it doesn't make a difference if the product is going to be baked/cooked later or not.

I have to chime in on the vac pacs (vacuum sealers). They are great, I don't have one myself but use to work in a deli/bakery with one. Actually one day I was very bored and decided to vac pac a slice of cake... it's really crazy to see what it reduces to when all the air is taken out.

Amifsud Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:21am
post #19 of 19

Sorry i did not mean to change the subject of this thread, cookiemookie i have the model with the separate cutter. i bought my mom the upright counter model, i think it is black and stainless it has the cutter on it and to be honest i like mine better. i feel like it is easier to use. i bought some chopped almond in bulk last year and separated it out into 1 cup bags and i just used some last week and they are still very fresh.. Check out the different ones and see which you like most. the nice thing about the upright is it looks good if you want to leave it on the countertop.

Quote by @%username% on %date%