Only My White, Yellow Cakes Fall Why??

Decorating By CKKakes Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 1:55am by shalderman

CKKakes Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 4

I don't know why but when I bake white, yellow and my newest coconut cake (all store bought) they all fall while baking. When I make any dark cake, such as chocolate it turns out perfect. Does anyone know why this is happening? I'm baking them all in a 3 x 8 round and following the directions...except with this cake pan I usually bake at 325 for one hour rather than 350 for 30 minutes. All the dark cakes turn out perfect why not my light cakes?? What am I doing wrong?

I live in CO is it an altitude thing??

3 replies
diane Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:42am
post #2 of 4

i think it may be the high altitude. here's some info about that and how to adjust your baking.

2508s42 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 4

add another egg white.

shalderman Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 1:55am
post #4 of 4

Are you making them according to the back of the box or modifying them? If you are making them as the box says then I'd go with the high altitude being a problem.

However if you're modifying at all be careful about the liquid amounts. I started out a few yrs ago using the modified chocolate cake recipe on this site (Durable Chocolate Cake). I then tried just to switch the mix instead of chocolate cake/chocolate pudding I did white cake and a white pudding. Well my cakes would fall a bit, be uncooked/dense in the middle and collapes in on the sides. I then did some research and found that white and yellow cake need less liquid. So now use the back of the box as a guide and I modify the liquid amounts according to that.

That's the short story icon_smile.gif I can go in depth on how I change the recipe if you want but my point is that check into the liquid amounts. it makes a big difference if there's too much liquid in a white or yellow cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%