Heavily Colored Flowers

Decorating By chefjared Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 6:15am by miny

chefjared Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 7

I have a wedding cake in a few weeks that is covered with bright multi-colored flowers that i need to copy in gumpaste. They are shades of red, yellow, orange and light accents of rose. How should i color my gumpaste flowers this way? airbrush them? layers of luster/petal dusts? Thank you

6 replies
Sugarflowers Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:25am
post #2 of 7

For me it would depend on how much I was being paid and how much time I had. For little money and/or time I would probably use the air brush. If I was getting paid decently then I would star with light colored gumpaste and the dust them to be darker. Passing them through steam after they have dried will enhance the color, take away the dusty look, and make them look more like fresh flowers.

lorijom Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:29am
post #3 of 7

Yep what Michele said icon_smile.gif I actually like to start all of my colored flowers with colored gumpaste and then darken and highlight with dust. Don't skip the steaming it makes all the difference.

miny Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:36am
post #4 of 7

Wow, the steam is a great tip, I didn't know you can do that. Thanks for the tip icon_eek.gif

miny Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:38am
post #5 of 7

Forgot to ask, do you steam dusted flowers only or air brushed too? Sorry for the sad question...

icer101 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:45am
post #6 of 7

you could also... airbrush your colors.. with the expensive airbrushs and expensive airbrush colors.. if you have them.. after they dry... then use your dust to further enhance them.. then steam them lightly.. hth

miny Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:15am
post #7 of 7

Great, I guess the key it's to wait until they're completely dry to steam, no matter how you color them. Thanks again for the tip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%