Bcd Series, Fondant "ruffled" Ribbon, Any1 See Thi

Decorating By bourbs Updated 6 Jun 2009 , 6:33pm by bourbs

bourbs Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,

Not long ago I watched an episode of BDC where Nancy wrapped a ribbon of fondant around a cake, but before she put it on she used a tool to make a ruffle on each side of the strip of fondant that made it look so pretty.

Did anyone else see this episode and know what I'm talking about and how to do it? I searched and searched the site and could find nothing?

I tried to duplicate it today out of curiosity and lol, not even close. I would love to learn this!

Tks Marie xx

5 replies
niccicola Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 6

ruffled as in like what you do with fondant rose petals using a ball tool?

ninatat Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:21am
post #3 of 6

is it like the fondant bow with the veil on the wilton site,

bourbs Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 6

I went to the Wilton site (thank you for that!) and that's just what it looked like, except she did both sides, but she did use a ball tool.
When I tried it with my ball tool, they came out a lot smaller and just didn't look right. obviously I did it wrong, either my technique or my ball was too small? (lol, sounds rude!)

Marie

ninatat Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 6

hmm not sure we are looking at the same picture, ok you want a rose, on that picture it just a rolled rose, have you made a rose i use the round cutter with the cone shape, i personally don't like the 5 pedal cutter, you have to use the ball half on the edge of the pedal and on the sponge put some sugar down and go around the the pedal once or twice, i also press in the middle, and pick out the side you like best, i use the 3 circle cutter, smallest 2 around cone a little of the tip showing and you can push them out a little, then continue around overlapping about 1/2 way, i don't tuck, first row press a little further down to start opening the rose and last row closer to the bottom, make sure and cover you pieces you're not working on, i usually cut 10 of the medium cutter, but i look to make sure if one or two are more are needed then i take a book and hang them upside down. some people use a toothpick and curl some edges. there are quite a few on u-tube i can't remember her last name but i like the way Donna does hers. so is this what you're talking about. lol ok i read it again lol is the ruffel you're talking about the swag on the sides of the bow look carefully and it will make sense it took me a couple times and the ohhhh kind of a back and forth fold. let me know

bourbs Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 6

hey Nintat,

It does make sense the more I look at it. I was just very curious about how Nancy did it on BDC with the ball tool. I would have thought it would have been on the site.
I'm going to try it the way it is on the Wilton site. I'm down really sick with a bad cold right now so I'll have to let you know in a bit
Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help

Marie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%