Heeeelp! Black Satin Ice Bleading Everywhere!

Decorating By yamber82 Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 6:36am by BlakesCakes

yamber82 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 7

i am using it on a book cake this weekend. i just used it on another cake yesterday that had whipped cream icing and the next morning it kinda looked like i had poured ganache all down the sides. (i did diamonds around the sides) i think it was from the icing as whipped cream icing is not really made to hold up fondant but i made the exact caek before and i used some fondant on the top and it worked fine. it's the skull and crossbones pink cake in my photos. i am just really worried about using it on this cake. i am covering the books in yello mmf that i made, and then using the satin ice black for the details. as anyone ever experienced this? i am really nervous about it, but surely the product wouldnt' be so popular if it bled all the time.

6 replies
crystalina1977 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 7

i dont think whipped cream works well with fondant, maybe its the liquid content i dont know but it seems to make fondant go liquid-y. maybe you just got lucky with the other cake, i would not use that as a rule of thumb. maybe try a different frosting so it doesn't happen on this cake.

yamber82 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:48am
post #3 of 7

yea that one was for my sis in law so i was kinda experimenting on her lol, but it just makes me really nervous. that's the first itme i used the satin ice fondant and it was really soft compared to my mmf and the wilton fodnant so i don't know if that had something to do with it. this cake is reg bc iced covered in yellow mmf and the black satin ice for the decorations. i'm doing it sat. should i be really careful about how much water i put on it for glue? i'm so worried about it icon_sad.gif i keep a box of wilton on hand for emergencies but really hate to use it especially since this particular customer is really particular on the taste. she doesn't like the wilton fondant at all.

kylekaitlyn Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:00am
post #4 of 7

I have used black SI without any bleeding. I always use BC. On the one occasion I used a whipped cream with fondant (Wilton) the fondant got very soft and mushy. I think it is simply the whipped cream causing the trouble.

Rylan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:11am
post #5 of 7

Maybe you were just lucky last time. I personally wouldn't use whipped cream under fondant.

Good luck.

PinkZiab Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:27am
post #6 of 7

yup, whipped cream under fondant is no-no.

BlakesCakes Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:36am
post #7 of 7

Yep--definitely no whipped icing under fondant--EVER! Too much water=ruined fondant.

You can stiffen the black SI by kneading 1/3 Wilton + 2/3 SI together. This will give you a stiffer product, but you'll retain the great taste, workability, and it will still be very black.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%