Baking Large Cakes!

Decorating By sugarmamma03 Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 3:12am by sugarmamma03

sugarmamma03 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 10

Any tips on baking large cakes? I have heard that Wilton makes a heating core... does anyone know if this works? Or is there something better to use?

9 replies
crystalina1977 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 10

there are a few threads on this very subject. it is a personal preference, some opting to go for a flower nail as a heating core, some opt for baking strips (store bought or home made). maybe try searching for flower nail and see what pops up in forums. i'm sorry but i'm not good at posting links.

crystalina1977 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 10

well i just typed flower nail and that didn't work. but there are definitely a few threads around right now, go through the forums (cake decorating, ideas and how do i, mainly) and look for topics that match your question, you will find something im sure.

crystalina1977 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:52pm
post #4 of 10
ptanyer Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 10

I just did some very large cakes and used 2 of the Wilton heating core's. They worked great! I also keep rose nails around to place in the cake if the cake starts baking unevenly and it helps to even out the baking so that one part doesn't get more done than the other parts. I check the cake at about 3/4 of the way through and if needed then I stick them in wherever I think help is needed.

HTH's icon_smile.gif

deetmar Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 10

I have done several 18" cakes for the bottom tier of wedding cakes this season. I used flower nails, which was suggested by some of the members here. They came out perfect every time. For the larger cakes, I used several nails making an X with them in the pans.

I have used the heating core for the 14" pans, but when you get up to the 18" I think the nails work better.

indydebi Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:32am
post #7 of 10

I've never used heating cores or nails. Heck, I just started using baking strips less than 5 years ago! Never saw a need for them. The baking strips are a nice extra, but if someone twisted my arm and made me bake without them, they'd still turn out ok.

I have a sheet pan that is 14x22 and I only use the baking strip on that one ... turns out fine. (And I use that pan for my orders for the governor's events so you KNOW i want THOSE to turn out ok!)

cylstrial Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:15am
post #8 of 10

I have only used the nails and the baking strips. They seem to work great for me.

Rylan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:44am
post #9 of 10

Yes the heating core works in my experience. Some people have succesfully baked a huge cake without one or any type of strip.

sugarmamma03 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 3:12am
post #10 of 10

Thanks so much for the advice, it was very helpful. I ended up using the heating core and loved it, it really made a huge difference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%