Polka Dots Using Buttercream

Decorating By adriane Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 2:39pm by shannon100

adriane Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 10

hey i would like to know how do you make polka dots using buttercream !!!!!!!!!!!

9 replies
Deb_ Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 10

One way would be to spread a layer of butter cream on a cookie sheet to the thickness you want and pop in the freezer til firm.

When it's firm, remove and cut out circles with different size cutters, lift and apply to the cake while frozen.

HTH
Deb

sweet1122 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 10

OMG!!! I thought people were just perfectionists!!! I can't wait to try this. Thanks for posting this question! thumbs_up.gif And Dkelly, thanks for posting the answer thumbs_up.gif

KlyKat Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 10

I just pipe them on the cake with a large open tip like a 8, 9 or 10 then let them crust and then flatten them out with your finger. HTH K'ly

blondeez Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlyKat

I just pipe them on the cake with a large open tip like a 8, 9 or 10 then let them crust and then flatten them out with your finger. HTH K'ly

This is the way I do them also. I dont have the time to wait for BC to freeze so I can cut it out.

adriane Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 10

thanks so much i will try both reply's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

One way would be to spread a layer of butter cream on a cookie sheet to the thickness you want and pop in the freezer til firm.

When it's firm, remove and cut out circles with different size cutters, lift and apply to the cake while frozen.

HTH
Deb

OMG. No flippin way....what a cool idea! Man....that's a good one!

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:31pm
post #8 of 10

Talk about a p-e-r-f-e-c-t polka dot!

Deb_ Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:00pm
post #9 of 10

It takes about 10 to 15 minutes to get the butter cream hard enough to cut out, remember you're not trying to freeze 1/2" here. We're talking 1/8 to 1/4" thickness.

If you want you can line the sheet with wax/parchment paper so that you can just lift the buttercream out in one piece.

They come out looking like fondant circles only they taste better and they're not chewy.

Oh, the bottom (flat side) is what you want to be showing when you place them on the cake.

icon_smile.gif

shannon100 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:39pm
post #10 of 10

I used a size 7 and 10 to get these polka dots. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1260695

I like the freezing idea too! I may have to try that some day, when I get some cutters.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%