11 X 15 Sheet Help :)

Decorating By Yizzi Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 11:52pm by Barb00

Yizzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yizzi Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 15

I've never made a sheetcake before. Do I need to use a flowernail while baking like big rounds? Thanks so much!!

14 replies
MaryAnnPriest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAnnPriest Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 15

I use a flower nail in all of my cakes. If it's really large, sometimes I use two. Good luck with your sheet cake! icon_smile.gif

PollyMaggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PollyMaggs Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 15

Hi,
Yes....in my 12 x 18 I use 2 and it works great.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 15

Ues the wraps around your cake pan. They have long ones and you can wrap them around and pin them in place. It helps it rise more evenly. If you happen to get one sided hump, as often happened to me in my funky German oven, trim off the hump and keep the scraps to boost up one side. Just tuck them under the flat side until even and ice as normal.

You can also use the nails, but use 2, one on each side. thumbs_up.gif

myrrhmaid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myrrhmaid Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 15

Yes! I use parchment paper and a flower nail. Put the nail under the parchment and be sure and grease the nail too. Have fun!

Yizzi Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 15

Excellent! Thanks all... off to bake. I never imagined I'd be intimidated by a sheet!! icon_razz.gif

Yizzi Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:19pm
post #7 of 15

2 nails and parchment paper. Worked like a dream! Thanks so much everyone!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:00pm
post #8 of 15

I'm glad it worked.

CSGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSGirl Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:33pm
post #9 of 15

I don't get it. What does the flower nail do?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 9:44pm
post #10 of 15

A flower nail acts as a heating core. It conducts heat into the center of the batter a bit quicker then not having one in there. Idea is the cake will bake without the hump because the heat is more distributed.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:01pm
post #11 of 15

so your saying that if I put a flower nail in there, I wont have the uneven hump that I have to cut off? I always end up cutting too much, then cutting uneven, and then cutting it again uneven... Its awful! LOL

and the parchement paper.. you line the bottom of the pan? do you go up the sides? I just use bakers joy. it works, but I am always worried I'll use too much. ??

Barb00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb00 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:34pm
post #12 of 15

Ok, I have never done this before so how do you use the flower nails in the large cakes when baking? Are they put in stem first into the batter? Are they put in the bottom of the pan and then put in the mix? icon_confused.gif

Barb00 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:41pm
post #13 of 15

Oh, I guess if I read further I would have learned the technique. So, you put the flower nail on bottom of the pan, stem side up and greased and greased parchment over it? Right? icon_cool.gif

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:44pm
post #14 of 15

Barb00,

That is correct. Prepare the flower nail(s) the same as the pan. After you pour in the batter you may have to slide them back into place. I have not used parchment paper but have never had a problem just using the nails.

Barb00 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 11:52pm
post #15 of 15

Thank you. Learn something new every day on this site. love it! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%