Help Need To Know About Weights Of Cake Sizes

Decorating By PollyMaggs Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 2:02am by Rylan

PollyMaggs Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 7

I am looking to purchase a cake plateau for a 4 tiered cake, 15/12/9/6. I have found a few but I dont know the total weight of the cake or if the plateaus will hold such a cake. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Polly

6 replies
crystalina1977 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 7

cakes can get very heavy with fillings, icing and/or fondant. like very heavy. especially a cake that big. i would guess you might have a 50-60 pound cake at least.

aswartzw Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 7

I'd be more likely to say it tops 60 pounds. I'd really like to know what a more experienced baker has to say.

When I guestimate my wedding cake, people stare at me and as usual, don't believe me when I tell them a weight. People have no idea those things can be so heavy.

PollyMaggs Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks, I forgot to memtion that each tier will be torted and filled and covered in fondant too, so I know it will be heavy.
Polly

pbeckwith Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 7

Someone told me once that 1 box mix cake plus buttercream fill and icing weighs 4 pounds - not including board/decorations. One box mix is approximately 5/6 cups of batter - maybe this will help you figure. It's amazing how much these cakes weigh - it's no wonder we struggle to carry them.

Toptier Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:22am
post #6 of 7

Next time I'm going to get on the scale with one of my cakes and start noting how much they weigh, I'm curious too! I mean the fondant on that cake would probably be 12-15 pounds, alone right?

Rylan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:02am
post #7 of 7

It will depend on how heavy the actual cake is, how tall it would be and many other factors. Just make sure you get a sturdy plateau.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%