Octopus Cupcake

Decorating By lnvarma Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 8:31pm by JCE62108

lnvarma Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 11

Any suggestions on how to make an octopus cupcake? I wanted to make them for my daughter's prek class!

thanks,
lisa

10 replies
kakeladi Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 11

Make the 'legs' out of fondant or RKT and turn the cc upside down - maybe even round it some.

crystalina1977 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 11

what if you cut the round dome off the top, anchored legs onto the new cut top...legs could be anything i guess from gummy worms to shoelace licorice to cut up strips of fruit by the foot...then reattach the dome top with a little dab of icing. color the icing for the top, add eyes...

whisperingmadcow Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 11

this might not help but williams sonoma has a character pan in the shape of an octopus.

All the brown is just uncovered cake and there are smarties and sugar dots on the legs.
LL

sweetideas Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 11

could you do this http://www.sculpey.com/Projects/projects_EC%20Octopus.htm

with fondant/gumpaste mix?

ETA: that is for clay, so of course you wouldn't bake it.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 11

I am recreating the little einstiens blue stuffed octopus for a 1st birthday this summer. I have decided to use the sport ball pan for the head and RKT for the legs. I will just dowel through the head to hold it in place. I am a bit nervous of how she will react when the head comes off of her favorite toy but that is what mommy wants.

cylstrial Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:24am
post #7 of 11

You could make a regular cupcake. Then you could make the octopus head out of a mini cupcake and then buy the licorice that can be pulled apart and use that for the legs. Hope this helps!

whisperingmadcow Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:42pm
post #8 of 11

I am so lame! I didn't see that it said "cupcake"! sorry...

crystalina1977 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:18pm
post #9 of 11

there is something called a creepcake cupcake for kids on the martha stewart website that might work for you...she's doing a whole cupcake theme right now. try looking under kid's favorites and you should see it there.

cylstrial Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:20pm
post #10 of 11

Yep. She just released new cupcake book on June 2nd. So she has been hyping cupcakes up big for the last two or three weeks.

JCE62108 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:31pm
post #11 of 11

I would make it simple and just pipe and octopus out of buttercream. I wouldnt get carried away with all that work out of fondant and such for little kids. They probably wont eat that anyway. You can thinly ice the cupcake blue for water, or maybe tan for sand. Add a starfish or something. Then pipe 8 leggs that start in the middle of the cupcake and hang down the sides just a bit (or maybe that go just to the end of the top of the cupcake to keep it cleaner, your choice), then pipe a large ball on top of the leggs for the body. Pipe face details and little round suckers on the legs. Maybe with the leaf tip you could pipe some seaweed on the sand too. This is how I would do it. Im having bad luck with fondant lately though. I may just turn into the anti-fondant lady if I dont get it figured out. : /

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%