Floral Tape For Gumpaste Rose Spray

Decorating By RetiredNavyChief Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 3:05am by Rylan

RetiredNavyChief Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a rose spray of gumpaste roses. Can I use regular floral tape to put them together or is there a special kind of tape?

4 replies
umgrzfn Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 5

You can use regular floral tape.

Cake4ever Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 5

Yes, you can use regular floral tape. It can dry out, so keep it sealed when you're done with it. To wrap the flowers, cut the tape down the center. Use about a 6 inch strip at a time. Stretch the tape out and then start wrapping. You can also use white and dust it for a lighter green effect. They also have brown, white, and yellow tapes, which will come in handy when you start on other flowers. I wrapped my first arrangement the other day on my own and I suggest after my incident that you wrap your flowers on a good sized piece of flat foam, that way you don't tip or break any of your flowers. My roses are in the gallery if you'd like to take a peek.

I recommend this book highly. "Leslie Herbert's Complete Book of Sugar Flowers." I'm in my 3rd semester of sugarpaste flowers at a local college here in the UK. This is what my instructor relies on as well. The book has great filler flower techniques as well as the common flowers typically used in the UK.

On a side note, I was great friends with a retired senior chief in Okinawa. She is one great lady and we had great times stamping together. Now I'm back into cake decorating, but she's still stamping away. LOL.

RetiredNavyChief Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:57am
post #4 of 5

thank you for your tips. I am using these flowers on a cake with bc, the tape wont bleed onto the cake?

Rylan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:05am
post #5 of 5

Make sure no one is allergic to latex because I've heard that floral tape contains latex.

Quote by @%username% on %date%