Tres Leches Cake...?

Decorating By whisperingmadcow Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 4:11am by luv2c_cultures

whisperingmadcow Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 3

Ok, so I have had a request for a tres leches cake. I have been looking through the recipes and it seems like its just vanilla cake. Does any one know if the cake needs to be dense or light? Can I do a WASC cake and then add the milk mix?

Also, I know that the traditional Icing would be a whipped cream icing, but I need to ice it on a tuesday for delivery on a Wednesday. I have never used whipped cream as a icing. Will it hold up overnight (in the frig of course) or will it slide down the sides? I can't get pastry pride where I am at or I would just use that.

Other then that, does anyone have any tips for this cake?

2 replies
crystalina1977 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 3

i'm sorry that i can't offer any tips on the cake, but i would like to point you toward allrecipes dot com, a great recipe resource with user reviews that are very helpful.

luv2c_cultures Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:11am
post #3 of 3

The tres leches is made with a vanilla cake, but I think that it is denser than the WASC. I think that the WASC cake is too moist and may not hold the "tres leches" very well. Maybe someone else has tried it?

With regards to the topping, I believe typically it is a meringue topping and not a whipper cream one.

What I would suggest (if you can) is to do the cake and drench it with the tres leches on the Tuesday and then put the meringue on Wednesday. I've typically done this cake in a pyrex so never had the problem, of it sliding down the sides.

Perhaps some of the other people on here that make these regularly have a better suggestion for you! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%