Have 15 Minutes To Give Answer. Help!!

Decorating By saberger Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 8:54pm by saberger

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 18

Unbelievable! I have 2 potential wedding cake orders all from one restaurant and within the last 30 minutes.

Okay, I have NEVER made a strawberry shortcake...any good recipes...and can it be design as a wedding cake (with SMBC and decorations?) What does one even begin to charge for that? I quoted them $4.50/serving for red velvet with BC so I think it would stay as a 'gourmet flavor' cake price (discounted for them)....sound right?

17 replies
saberger Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 18

PLEASE!?!?!

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 18

do they expect to have fresh strawberries in it??
because if so I would think you would have to increase the price due to the premium filling.

sorry I cant help with the recipe.
Ive only ever eaten strawberry shortcake, never made it

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 18

I'd definitely make it a gourmet flavor. Strawberry shortcake is made with strawberries and cream on top of shortbread. I don't know about trying it as a wedding cake. I've never made shortbread in that quantity before.

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 18

For my strawberry shortcake, I use a sponge cake and I layer it with my mousse and stravberries. You could also use whatever butter cake recipe you use. I just feel that a sponge works better, lighter also. And icing it with IM is even better.

TrinaR

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 18

For strawberry shortcake, I use yellow, white or sponge cake and whipped cream. So I'm sure you could use Swiss or Italian bc.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 18

Your price sounds good. Don't have a clue what strawberries would cost you when the cake is due (would they be in season then?).
I recommend my *original* WASC recipe for the cake. It is perfect w/strawberries icon_smile.gif and can be decorated as a wedding cake w/o problems.
Don't know about SMBC - haven't made it, but from what I hear it tastes like eating a stick of butter icon_sad.gif shortcake probably should have whipped cream. Maybe use Rich's Bettercreme or Frostin' Pride. (they are non-dairy subs).

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:49pm
post #8 of 18

SMBC would be perfect for that. Just perfect!

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:51pm
post #9 of 18

i would definately choose to use a pound cake or the WASC recipe as you want the cake to be stable enough to stack (tiered cakes for a wedding i'm assuming). i don't know if i would trust a sponge cake to hold up the weight to be stacked- jmho icon_smile.gif

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:52pm
post #10 of 18

at all the bakeries i've worked at sponge has always been used for strawberry shortcake cakes. Use sponge and soak with strawbery juice, use either white mousse or stabilized whipped cream (the white mousse) will hold up better. You can use the whipped cream for non tiered cakes. Then layer with thinly sliced strawberries. Do three layers of sponge and two layers of filling and frost with regular buttercream or cover in fondant. Hope this helps.

saberger Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:56pm
post #11 of 18

Thank you!!! It turns out she just wants a plain jane run of the mill yellow cake, whipped cream filling, fresh strawberries, BC, a few BC roses, and "congrats".

Apparently their regular bakery just charges $75! Which is what I would charge for a regular plain jane cake. I have a prob with having different prices for celebration cakes vs. wedding. It doesn't make sense to me. So this cake, as a wedding cake, would be $180 versus $75. Am I figuring this wrong?

Thank you VERY much for the recipes and info!!!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:18pm
post #12 of 18

Don't get into the different price for different occasion thing.

Price your cakes on serving size, i.e. $4.00 per serving if the cake serves 50 then it costs $200 weather it's for a wedding or birthday party.

I base all of my cakes per serving using the Wilton wedding cake chart. If they want larger servings, then they need to order larger cakes.

If you start giving lower prices for All Occasion cakes then you do for wedding cakes, it won't take your clients long to figure out that they should just tell you it's for a birthday and not a wedding......just to pay less.

Obviously you need to charge extra for the stacking system used, but some anniversary, birthday and other cakes also are stacked, so why should they not be the same as a stacked wedding cake?

For strawberry shortcake I use a yellow or white cake, with a stabilized whipped cream and fresh strawberry filling iced in either the whipped cream or reg. bc.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:21pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Don't get into the different price for different occasion thing.

Price your cakes on serving size, i.e. $4.00 per serving if the cake serves 50 then it costs $200 weather it's for a wedding or birthday party.

I base all of my cakes per serving using the Wilton wedding cake chart. If they want larger servings, then they need to order larger cakes.

If you start giving lower prices for All Occasion cakes then you do for wedding cakes, it won't take your clients long to figure out that they should just tell you it's for a birthday and not a wedding......just to pay less.

Obviously you need to charge extra for the stacking system used, but some anniversary, birthday and other cakes also are stacked, so why should they not be the same as a stacked wedding cake?

For strawberry shortcake I use a yellow or white cake, with a stabilized whipped cream and fresh strawberry filling iced in either the whipped cream or reg. bc.

Ditto to that! Those slices are plenty big! Most people I serve cake too have a hard time finishing their piece, whether it's wedding or not!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:12pm
post #14 of 18

.........base all of my cakes per serving using the Wilton wedding cake chart.......
.........Ditto to that! Those slices are plenty big!..........

Actually a 1x2x4 slice is THE SAME amount of cake as a 2x2x2 piece!

I would charge the same price for *any* tiered cake. Of course that's for 'plain jane' flavors icon_smile.gif Unless fresh fruit was out of season and very expensive I don't charge extra for it.....it's the same as using any other filling (except b'cream).

saberger Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:39pm
post #15 of 18

Thanks. So what do I do now that I had already quoted them (and they agreed) on the $4.5 for the wedding and less for the shortcake? It seems that from now on I will have to keep that $75 price with them for that particular cake and then just raise the prices for the 'regular' cakes. Is that right?

saberger Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:50pm
post #16 of 18

Also, is it okay that I charge them only $4.50 for BC and $5.50 for fondant, but I charge my regular price of $5.50 for BC & $7for fondant for my regular biz? Make it seem like they get a special rate for using me for all of their affairs?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:05pm
post #17 of 18

Well it depends on the volume that they will be ordering. I mean if they're only ordering 1 or 2 cakes a week then that's a regular order and they should pay what everyone else does.

I legally cannot sell wholesale out of my licensed kitchen, but if I were able to, the order would have to be large enough for me to be able to give such a discount.

It's all about volume.

HTH
Deb

P.S. If you already quoted them, you may be able to say this is my "getting started" price, it will go up eventually.

saberger Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 8:54pm
post #18 of 18

I found this at the store....has anybody ever used it?

Jell-o No Bake real cheesecake dessert

I couldn't find cheesecake pudding for Macsmom recipe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%