Help From Houston Texas Bakers

Business By ashleyckennedy Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 9:10pm by kelleym

ashleyckennedy Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 7

I recently had my hours cut from work and was thinking of going into business for myself selling cakes, cookies, cupcakes, etc. (since my friends and family already have me working all the time). But I know that our Texas Cottage Bill just got shut down. So My question is where do I start. I was thinking of renting space from a kitchen, but can't seem to find anything in houston. If anyone has any info on any bakeries in houston. Or if anyone can offer me advice or share with me how they got started, I would really appreciate it. TIA.

6 replies
baycheeks1 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 7

I dont know what side of town you live on, but I know there is a place here in Pearland that was a cake shop and they have moved out of it. I just dont have the money right now to buy or rent it...you could also look into borrowing someone's kitchen, a smaller restaurant or even a church's kitchen.

pattycakesnj Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 7

check out community centers, K of C, churches, catering places or look to share space with another decorator. Google " share commercial kitchen with your city" and you would be surprised what you find. Good luck

ashleyckennedy Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 7

I have thought about using a church kitchen, but I wasn't sure if they would have the necessary licences needed. Do you think it depends on the church? Thanks for the advice.

ashleyckennedy Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 7

oh yeah, I live in rosenberg, but am willing to drive.

pattycakesnj Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 7

Yes, it would depend on the church, not every church kitchen is licensed and inspected where I live

kelleym Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:10pm
post #7 of 7

It does depend on the church. My church has a full kitchen with stove/range, but they can't become a licensed commercial kitchen because of some type of fire code that the kitchen can't meet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%