Grease Proof Ribbon On Cakes

Decorating By pattisos Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 2:45am by ericaplh

pattisos Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 6

I am getting ready to decorate a cake with a ribbon wrapped around the lower edge. What technique is used for applying ribbon that won't absorb grease from the icing? Do you back it with waxed paper? Please give ideas.

5 replies
miny Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 6

I've only used ribbon once because they ask for it and I got the one that is kind of waxy, it worked pretty well but if you want to make sure you have to go with fondant ribbon, or molding chocolate.

Shelly4481 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 6

If your using a crusting bc then let it crust well, for about 4 hours then it shouldn't absorb any. I do these all the time without doing anything to the ribbon. I use all shortening bc and never have to worry about grease.

eneq Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 6

take your fabric ribbon and iron it between pieces of waxed paper. the wax adheres to the ribbon and makes it grease proof. HTH

Rylan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:33am
post #5 of 6

I personally don't suggest using ribbons on cakes since it isn't food safe but if you still want to, I've heard some people line the back of the ribbon with tape. Good luck.

ericaplh Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:45am
post #6 of 6 that tip about ironing the ribbon..might be the only time I pull my iron out

Quote by @%username% on %date%