Crusting Creamcheese Icing?

Decorating By lynda-bob Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 5:25pm by floral1210

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 17

I found a recipe here on CC for a crusting cream cheese icing. Has anyone used this before? Can it stay Out of the fridge like reg. crusting buttercream and can it be tinted w/ color paste gels? TIA for any help you can give icon_smile.gif

16 replies
umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 17

I tried the one on here and if it's the one I'm thinking of, you at Almond and to me it was over powering and I didn't care for it. Not to mention, I had a ROUGH time trying to smooth it. It didn't crust very well. The one I like to use is Ednas from designmeacake.com
HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 17

Earlene Moore has a crusting recipe that can be left out for something like 5 days. I think her site is: earlenescakes.com

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:21am
post #4 of 17

I've seen Earlene's recipe. I'v tried the recipe posted on Enda's site and it was wonderful. Edna told me she has left hers in room temperature and so did I. It taste great too.

Jokerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jokerz Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:48am
post #5 of 17

Hi, can Edna's buttercream be used under fondant? I was told not to use cream cheese icing with fondant. I was looking for cream cheese icing for carrot and red velvet cakes.

Rylan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:11am
post #6 of 17

Yes it is. Infact, I used it on my last cake. I also made carrot and red velvet and it was the best frosting that goes with it. I only left it unrefrigerated for 24 hours though. Ask Edna how long it would be ok in room temperature.

Jokerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jokerz Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:25am
post #7 of 17

Thank you. I've sent her a message.

lynda-bob Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:26am
post #8 of 17

Thanks for all the input. I have a couple of recipes from here on CC but I can't find or figure out which one is Edna's. Help? I'm about to go check out the Earlene's rt now. thumbs_up.gif

Rylan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:32am
post #9 of 17

Here is Edna's

www.designmeacake.com

It's in the recipe section

lynda-bob Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:46am
post #10 of 17

Thanks so much!

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:37pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

Here is Edna's

www.designmeacake.com

It's in the recipe section

The cream cheese recipe I've used for years is virtually the same as this (3/4 c crisco & 1/4 c butter v. 50/50 and a little less salt plus a little lemon juice) and it's fantastic! It crusts great and works fine for me under fondant.

Rylan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:46pm
post #12 of 17

Clovely, the funny thing is that we actually use the exact same recipe. I changed Edna's 1/2 cut butter to 1/4 cup and added 1/4 cup of shortening.

clovely Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:51pm
post #13 of 17

RylanTy, I don't even remember where I got this recipe but I LOVE it!! I use it almost all the time, usually in lieu of regular buttercream. It's just so yummy! I made a white chocolate cake last weekend and put white chocolate in that recipe - it was all I could do not to just sit and eat the whole bowl before I had a chance to put it on the cake! It's the best!!

Rylan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:57pm
post #14 of 17

So true! I LOVE it too. How much white chocolate did you add? Melted right? I'm not going to lie but I like it better than regular buttercream. How long have you had yours in room temperature btw?

clovely Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:06pm
post #15 of 17

The cake I delivered Tuesday was probably out a day and a half by the time she got it to the party. It was under fondant, though. I usually like to refrigerate anything just because I like things to be nice and tight to deliver or move it around so I've probably never left it out for more than that.

I think I added 6 oz (1c of chips) but that might've been to the doubled recipe - not sure now.

Rylan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:15pm
post #16 of 17

Thanks for the info.

I usually double the recipe too. I'll try it, hopefull it turns out great.

THANKS!

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:25pm
post #17 of 17

I always use the one from this site...the 1 stick butter, 1/2 c. shortening, and 8 oz. cream cheese, vanilla and salt, and 2 lbs. sugar. I have always had great results, especially when it is not overbeaten. I have left it unrefrigerated for 24 hours with no ill effects. Love that recipe...I think it is called Decorators's Cream Cheese Buttercream or something similar...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%