Topsy Turvy Cakes & Traveling

Decorating By CSGirl Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 1:27am by CSGirl

CSGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSGirl Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 10

I have a request for a topsy turvy cake, it's my first, thinking everything should be fine.

My only concern is traveling 40 minutes with it in the car.

Heard recommendation somewhere that you should not stack and travel a topsy turvy cake.

But if the cake is constructed properly.. it's just like traveling with regular stacked cake....

Thoughts? Experiences? Recommendations?

9 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 10

I've done it both ways. One that had to travel over an hour and was mostly buttercream, I packed the layers separately and assembled it when I got to the venue. Another one that was all fondant, the customer didn't want to pay delivery, and it only had to travel about 25 minutes, so I supported it real well and let them take it. They sent me pics from the party, and the cake arrived fine.

Deanna

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 10

As long as you stack it well and make sure you put a long dowel rod through both tiers, you should be fine. I've traveled with them and they did just fine. When people pick up mad hatters( or any other stacked cake)I always tell them to drive nicely, because once it leaves me, it's theirs... that usually scares them enough.

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:37am
post #4 of 10

I agree with the others, make sure you use the center dowel or sps. I find that putting them on a large (oversized), heavy base helps them not to tip over. The small ones tend to tip the most! Having them boxed in a box that fits the base exactly helps also. What I have been doing recently is buying 2x4' sheets of foam insulation at Home Depot - 1" or 3/4" thick. Then I hot glue a masonite board and cut around that with a serrated knife. Then I cover with fondant or paper and ribbon the edge. The masonite is the bottom, foam on top. When I center dowel, the dowel goes right thru into the insulation.

HTH and good luck.

CSGirl Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:28pm
post #5 of 10

Ok... center doweling then.. I've used dowels, but only to support the next layer, and I've never had to go more than 3 short tiers and I've never had a problem. I will travel wtih 2 tiers stacked and place the 3rd on when I get there.

I typically stack using cardboard, cake, dowels, cardboard, cake dowels. Do you precut a hole in the center of the cardboard to get it in? Or does it just "magically" go through when pounded?

CSGirl Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:30pm
post #6 of 10

Toptier.. GREAT idea with the foam.

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:04pm
post #7 of 10

toptier....huh? sorry, i dont get it. if the fondant covers the board and insulation, wont it fold?

keeshonjohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keeshonjohnson Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:10pm
post #8 of 10

When I run a dowel thru several layers of cake and cardboard, I first use a pencil sharpener to give the dowel a point. I then use a hammer to tap it thru the cardboard layers.

crystalscakesaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalscakesaz Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:22pm
post #9 of 10

I'm new to this website and have made only one topsy turvy cake. I followed the instructions that I printed out online. It turned out great! Very cute. I put it in the back of my explorer thinking the flat area of the vehicle would be better. It fell over as I was driving to the event I had made it for. I ended up buying a cake at the grocery store! I would recommend assembling your cake when you get there which is what I'm going to do next time.

CSGirl Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:27am
post #10 of 10

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone! I made my first topsy turvy cake and it came out wonderful! It was 3 tiers. I made them each seperately and traveled to the location with them on boards. I put them together once I got there. The customer LOVED it! Picture attached~!
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%