Standard Cake Contract

Business By Shayron Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 10:43pm by -K8memphis

Shayron Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 7

I'm starting my own business out of my house kinda deal.. few clients here and there. I'm requiring a 50% deposit up front and I would like to give them a contract detailing everything I am to do and pricing and what not so if anything ever happens, it's down on paper. I'm not a big business so it doesn't have to be too in depth. Just enough to cover my butt and look professional. Also, right now I'm waiting on a lady to pay my deposit for a cake due Friday. I haven't heard from her in 2 days but she offered to pay me whenever. I don't want to make the cake unless I have this deposit but I don't think she is going to get back to me in time. Should I go ahead and make the cake or just say forget it since she couldn't meet up with me to talk logistics and get my deposit. We've already discussed everything to be done with the cake I just haven't got a reply since Monday. Any info would help. Thanks!

6 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 7

You gotta get firm from the get go. For me, all cakes get a contract, no matter how small, and no matter how close to deadline. I mean, I won't take one under a week out anyways, and by that time, I have planned my free time, and, uh, I just don't want the hassle anyways.

Contract, full amount paid before even looking in the direction of the oven, much less walking towards it to think about turning it on.

If you go to the Cake Boss (not the t.v. show) website, there is a free template there to use. It's where I got mine, I heavily modified it and added/removed components, and it's great.

Minstrelmiss Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 7

I found this here and modified it for my use. HTH

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:03pm
post #4 of 7

16 pages?!?!?!? Holy moly!

Minstrelmiss Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 7

Yeah...I know....but like I said, I modified it to fit what I needed. Mine is 12 pgs (I do double sided to it doesn't seem so long icon_wink.gif ) That includes a cake order sheet, cupcake order sheet, and a sketches page. So far so good icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 7

My 'contract' is a sales order book you can get from Office Max or somewhere like that. I list all the information about the cake and other vendors and the principals.

At the bottom I put the dates & the amount of money due on those dates--the money is not refundable--after the last payment there are no changes --I can add a kitchen cake but no changes--and I mention the size of the serving--if they want a larger serving they buy more cake.

That's it--Oh and I write I reserve the right to make the cake to the best of my ability. Like I'll see to everything for the bride--if the cake table is in the window, I won't bug her--I'll move it or get it moved.

So it makes several copies but it's one page long.

edited to say--we both sign it and I also write on there that 'Contract must be cancelled in writing.'

-K8memphis Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 7

I have two other pieces of paper handy--one to write down the bride's homework--things she needs to do for me, information I need, drop off topper, color swatch, phone number of flortist etc.

And one piece to make additional notes that are often transferred to sales order.

I could not handle anything more than that and if I was a bride
I'd be scared of anything longer than that.

Orderly thoughts for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%