Flower Nail In Cake

Decorating By MrsMabe Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 11:20pm by MrsMabe

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 11

Sorry, I tried really hard to search for this answer. Any advice for how to search forum posts?

Anyway, I keep seeing people mention putting a flower nail in their cake while it's baking. I gather that this is to help the cake bake evenly, but what I don't understand is how to know when it's necessary? I've never used one and never had a problem. Is there a specific circumstance that calls for it? Thanks in advance!

~Michelle~

10 replies
yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 11

i would also like to know this

jer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jer702 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 11

I believe its any cake 10 inches and larger, but some people use them regardless. I only use them on 10 inches or larger and I use baking strips on all my pans.

crazyteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyteach Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 11

I have been reading that in different posts as well-- I am glad you asked the question. I hope that someone will give an answer!

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 11

You put the nail in the middle of the pan...greased, then you poor the batter...usually you use it when you are baking in a 10+ inch pan...to make sure that the center gets done too.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 11

Usually on the bigger size pans though some cc'ers use it for all sizes. The flower nails heats up and cooks the middle because on larger cakes, sometimes the middle is last to cook so edges may be overcooked to get middle done. The nail helps that situation. I use it on anything 10 inches or bigger. HTH

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:11pm
post #7 of 11

Does the flower nail stop the problem of the hump forming in the center of the baking cake?

cheesecakes-galore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakes-galore Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 11

I have used this method several times. I use it when my cakes are going to 3" or taller, or when my pan is 10" or larger all the way around. I typically do not use for regular sheetcakes though. It does help conduct the heat throughout so you do not overcook the outer edges while waiting on the center to cook through.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 11

for a no dome cake, I swear by the bake even strips, NO MORe HUMPS OR DOMES!!!!!!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:02pm
post #10 of 11

I do it for just about all of my cakes (exception is 6" x 2" pan). It's just part of my baking routine now. I use it in my sheetcakes because I've had problems with them not cooking in the middle before the edges were too browned. This has eliminated that problem.

FYI: Flower nail photo tutorial:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-612603.html

other recent flower nail threads:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-46493.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-632098.html

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:20pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you all so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%